My son is 19 years old. He is thinking about marathon training. I am not that thrilled with that idea, I imagined him as a lawyer or a doctor, not a sweaty runner whose only goal is to cross the finishing line first. Anyway I could get a little comfort if someone would explain to me the benefits of marathon training. At least he’ll be healthy, right?

He is still a kid, still a teenager. His mind and interests are jumping from one thing to another very fast so there is a possibility that he’ll train marathon for a while than move on to something else. You can only wait and see. As for marathon itself, it’s a hard course that requires a lot of dedication and sacrifice. You cannot simply start running marathon, you have to run shorter distance for a long time, before coming close to the main event. And yes, he would be very, very healthy.