Hello! My best frined gave birth a yar ago. We don’t see each other often because we don’t live in the same cities but every time I see her, she looks thinner and thinner. She has always been good looking but this kind of condition makes me worried. I mean, the baby is bigger than she is. She told me that she hasn’t been able to put on any weight although he is eating quite a lot. She told me she was found to have some problems with her thyroid, and that her hands are also sweating too much. She says she needs to have it checked again and see what she’s going to do about it. How is it possible that she suddenly started having such problems when I know that nobody in her family had any similar problems. Will this thyroid disorder go away or is she stuck with it for the rest of her life? If it goes away, what are the chances of recurrence during next pregnancies? Thank you for your help

Well, it is quite known that thyroid problems may occur during pregnancy or post partum to women who never had any troubles before, not to mention those who already had problems with fluctuating hormones. Post partum women can experience problem both with hyper and hypo thyroid. In the post partum period, thyroid gland becomes inflamed due to antibodies. They circulate in the body and can cause too many or too little thyroid hormones to be released. Postpartum thyroidis has some sort of the pattern in which a woman first experience high levels of thyroid hormones with all of its symptoms and then the body produces too little making a woman suffer from different kinds of problems. Some women return to normal but some get stuck with it for the rest of their lives. Most of the women experience similar problems during their next pregnancies, or during a period of stress, and during menopause.