Celebrity

Hi everyone,

In light of a few recent discussions about eyelashes where the use of castor oil was mentioned, I thought I'd start a new thread to talk about this. 

My first question is whether it is possible to grow eyelashes with castor oil. My second question is what is so special about castor oil as opposed to any other kinds of oils? I also want to know if using castor oil near your eyes is safe, and what it feels like when you apply it, as well as how exactly you are supposed to use it. If using castor oil on your eyelashes really works to make them longer, how long does it take before you notice that? And will they become shorter again if you stop using the castor oil, or is the effect permanent?

I'm just curious, mainly. I don't have ridiculously short eyelashes or anything, but I do use mascara and if putting castor oil makes my eyelashes look better, then well, I'm all for it. 

I also did notice that some people seem to be extremely opposed to using castor oil, and that's why I asked whether it's safe. 

OK, bring it on, ladies! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about this topic!Rosie

Interesting question.

Myself, I started using castor oil after someone recommended it to me. I try to go for the organic ones when I can, and I apply them at night after removing makeup and cleaning my face. I apply it with my fingertips. Yes, it does feel a bit weird at first but you get used to it. It most definitely works. The trick is to make sure that you apply it every single night and don't miss a night. After three months of daily use, yes, my eyelashes are without a doubt much longer and thicker.

Can't say I have heard about any side effects other than possible pigmentation, which I had a little of yes, on my eyelids, but it just looked a bit like very light brown eyeshadow so that didn't bother me one little bit. That has cleared up now, mostly.

If you are looking for longer eyelashes, this is definitely the way to go. It helps for your eyebrows as well.

Castor oil is amazing.

Yes, it will grow your hair — any hair on your body, whether it's the hair on your head, your eyebrows, or your eyelashes (I don't imagine you would want to use it anywhere else, unless you are a man trying to grow a beard, in which case it will also work for that.) Why? By improving the circulation in your follicles and also feeding your hair. Not only will your hair grow much faster (good if you are trying to create awesome braids as well!) it will also look healthier and thicker. AND it deals with dandruff, which is moot when you are talking about eyelashes, but very useful for your head.

Then, if you have acne or scars left over from when you did have acne, castor oil will also work wonders for that as well. And you can use it to moisturize your hands (including working for brittle nails and cuticles) and feet. Some even say that it will cure verucas and warts, but as I don't have those, I cannot speak from experience there.

Really, when you stop and think about it, castor oil is hands down the most useful cosmetic product out there.

Hiya,

Colour me sceptical, hahaha. I got some issues with my brows myself and of course castor oil is supposed to be a magical solution for that too. Does it work? Well, after looking long and hard through all those dark corners of the web, I gotta say that it probably does. There's so many ladies out there saying castor oil gave them wonderful lashes and eyebrows in no time. Mind you, the trick is not to forget about the side effects. I have also read that it can cause severe irritation if you get it in your eyes. My eyes are pretty important to me, you know? And there's just no way to make totally sure that that stuff doesn't get into your eyes if you go putting it on your eyelashes and then sleeping it all night. I don't know about you, but I definitely rub my eyes without thinking about it. Besides, some ladies say that the stuff discoloured their skin. Also not something I want, get me? 

I'm looking into better tested commercial products right now. I'd have more faith in those 'cause I assume reputable makeup companies wouldn't just sell stuff that gives you nasty side effects. or they'd go out of business real soon, right? 

It must work, you don't see any bald guys any more do you?

I bought castor oil after hearing that it is supposed to grow your eyebrows. I have no beef with my lashes so didn't try it on those. In short though, the castor oil was a waste of time for me. I was told I was supposed to begin noticing regrowth within a week, used it for three, and my eyebrows look exactly the same as before, I swear. What I will say is that I added it to some other random oils I had lying about the house and they work pretty well as a massage oil and also a skin cleanser. That's probably not what you expected to hear, but hey, it is what it is.

Hahahahahahaha.

Every day, actually, I work with two bald guys. I don't think suggesting castor oil will win me any favours with them, what do you think????? :D

If they're like me they enjoy being bald. What a pain it was trying to keep my hair combed while driving between home service calls in the summer with the car windows open. I always had a GI haircut so I didn't have to. Now I just get up in the morning and wash a very large face and I'm ready to go.

Keep this in mind: there are no scientific studies to prove that castor oil will stimulate hair growth. Considering how popular it has recently become, that is important to remember as you consider whether it will work for you. Given the fact that male pattern baldness is such a huge issue that many people are working on solving, if it worked, you would think that the studies would be there by now. So why aren't they?

One thing castor oil may do is make your lashes look thicker, without actually making them thicker. Any oil (and again, keep in mind that people do say coconut oil, olive oil, even vaseline will make your eyelashes thicker) will stick to whatever you apply it to and then other products probably stick to the oil. Will it grow your lashes though? Many people say it does and since it is not very expensive and you can use it for regular skin care as well, you have nothing to lose if you try it. It will be a kind of experiment though and not anything that is guaranteed. If you see it as a good bit of fun, it is essentially harmless at worst 

Regards,

PINK

I don't know as I've never used castor oil on my lashes. What I do use is I've been using Promaxyl Rapidlash Eyelash Renewal Serum. I've been using it for around three months now and in that time, my lashes have become thicker, longer and I have more lashes than before. After trying this, I'm telling you, no part of me is considering switching over to something like castor oil. This may be more expensive but I am sure that it actually works. I have had no side effects either, which is another really important thing.

I went to the mall today and went to every single shop and pharmacy to ask about an eyebrow growth serum. I was really excited to be buying that, but get this — not a single place had that. They said they used to get those serums but they stopped getting them because they weren't selling any. In the end, I walked out with castor oil (no more than a few quid). I am hoping it will work. One girl at a makeup counter told me she had used it for her eyebrows before, and it really thickened them out. She said it took two weeks before she saw improvements.

So, I am planning to use this stuff on both my eyebrows and my eyelashes. I hope great eyebrows can be mine within a few weeks; I am really hopeful. I got my eyebrows waxed a few years back and they never did return. I haven't as much as plucked them with tweezers since then. I hope that castor oil can really do something for me. Obviously I am not totally convinced yet and I am pretty worried about darker spots as well, but I am more than willing to give it a go. Will keep you posted.

This is what I read I should be doing. Can someone please correct me if I am wrong?

Clean the skin, dip the castor oil in a cotton bud, apply it to the brows and lashes, then get the other clean end of the cotton bud and clear off any excess. Sleep with it and clean your face the next morning. Repeat every day. Some bloggers also say to massage it in in circular motions (for the brows) so I am not sure whether I should be doing that or not.

If you've got any tips on how to make this work best, please post them!

Well, since nobody replied in the meantime, I went ahead and did it. I started out by cleaning my face. Then I applied the sample of Murad Essential-C Day Moisture that I got, even though it is nearly bed time, because that is all they gave me :). It felt a little tingly on the skin and smelled of vitamin tablets. Then I dripped some castor oil onto a cotton bud. I was surprised at the thick consistency and clear colour. I was expecting something much darker and more liquidy for some reason. Since some people tell you you need to massage it in, I made circular motions with the cotton bud. My skin felt warm as soon as I applied it though, even before the massaging. Is that normal? I was going to wipe the excess off like I read, but that was not really necessary because the stuff is so thick. It looks more like a gel than an oil, actually. And that's it. It's be patient and wait for results now! Again, I'm thrilled to see how this goes and I will keep you all posted.

Hiya Pirate, I've got like half my eyebrows missing thanks to some bouts of overplucking and yeah, I've been looking into all sorts a possible cures for that. Frankly, I'd like to have my brows back. It's been at least a decade that nothing's grown to be honest. I'm weary of castor oil for two reasons, yeah? First one being everyone seems to be treating it as if it's some kinda magic solution, which feels cultish to me and leads me to scepticism. Second I've heard your skin and even your eyes can go darker because of using it. Don't relish the thought of that, you know? But yeah, it's great that you're giving it a go and I'm defo open to hearing how you're getting along with this. If it works for you, who knows? I might change my stubborn mind and actually end up giving it a go myself. I don't don't don't emphasis on don't want no hyperpigmentation around my brow area though. That sounds like swapping bad for worse, and can't say I have any interest in that, you know what I mean? Anyways, let us know how you're getting on with the castor oil and whether you get any dark spots, whether it messes your eyes up, and whether you're actually seeing new hair growth and I'd be really interested...