i'm hoping someone out there can help me... i've been to a couple of docs re this and no one can help. when i'm tired still after a seemingly good sleep i experience a slight vertigo feeling as well as tingling numbness in my palms and around my mouth... i also get what i can feel and almost hear as electric pulses in my head at the same time as these tinglings in my palms. this is so frustrating because i seem to get it 4 a few days at a time when i'm tired or hungover and no doctor can explain it! i've also had vertigo in the past but it has been treated and this seems to be unrelated. Hope someone can relate! :-(

Suzebebe... my nursing fundamentals book it says something technical that I'll quote, and then translate. Your symptoms are symptoms of respiratory alkalosis, which is characterized by "light-headedness with circum-oral (around the mouth) paresthesias (tingling or other sensations) and numbness and tingling of the extremities."

Respiratory alkalosis means that your lungs are not getting rid of enough CO2 (carbon dioxide). This can happen as a result of anxiety, or maybe you are in a very deep sleep and not breathing enough at night?

I found a better answer... you may have low calcium levels (hypocalcemia). Are you getting enough calcium (dairy products, leafy green vegetables, etc) in your diet?

Search the web to find out how much you should be getting and what the sources of calcium are. I have three servings of milk a day, which is enough, but you may not like milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.

Well if you have vertigo and tingling in your head - as well as some other strange symptoms (like having a leg sort of drag behind the other when you walk - these are signs of Multiple Schlorosis. There are two types of MS. There is the really bad one and there is another lighter type that is sort of in remission and takes a lot longer to do the dirty work. It is very difficult to diagnose because Doctors just don't think about it or test for it. You need an MRI of the brain or a spinal tap to determine if you have it. I would choose the MRI as the spinal tap is said to leave you with a TERRIBLE head ache due to the air getting into the spinal column and traveling up to your brain.

I am sure you put the poster's mind at rest with that statement, I'm sure you stopped them worrying Dr Quincy.

That answer is worse than telling someone the lump in their breast is probably cancer. How completely irresponsible!!!
To tell someone they probably have a life threatening disease without any real knowledge of their experiences or without any medical background makes you a shocking ghoul!

Dear poster,

If you are worried about ms please visit your Doctor again and again until you can be assured you have no neurological problems. It's possible to have neuro disturbances for so many reasons, too many to list here. It can be something as simple as anxiety, a pinched or trapped nerve in the neck, the way you are sleeping or even your posture. Perhaps you need a new mattress?

I kid you not, it could be nothing at all. Sometimes a fear of something can trigger a physical reaction in the body, perhaps you suffer with health anxiety which is hugely common. Please visit the link below you may find the discussion boards beneficial. There are millions of people out there who suffer from anxiety related illness' and it's very real and just as deliberating as other illness'.

I know how worrying it can be when you are locked in your own world and think you are doomed with an illness. It's not a healthy mindset and ignore these episodes when they happen. Positive thinking is key to beating any illness be it of mind or body.

I wish you well for the future

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I would get your potassium levels checked. I had those same symptoms and I had low potassium and magnesium levels. I also have a herniated disc. I had interior cervical discectomy with fusion in 2009 but my neck still causes problems. Sorry yuou are dealing with these issues. I feel your pain!

I have the same thing and they told me that it was a severe migraine i get them every month mine are due to a chemical imbalance. they gave me an antidepressant and surprisingly as long as i took them i had no problems. 

Last one to post had a great and more reassuring answer. It could also be a mild side effect (not an allergic effect) to a medication, most commonly Effexor (Venlafaxine) or Remeron (Mirtazapine). You certainly don't need to stop taking either of these medications, if you are even on one, but discuss this with your medical provider. Very often a "side effect" of a medication isn't severe enough to make any changes. Yes, there can be other things more serious, but that is very unlikely unless you had a lot of other symptoms as well.

Could be a B12 deficiency. 3 components in B12, one is a reservoir which your body doesn't actively use (about 90% is this), the second (about 8%) is what your body uses, the other 2% I don't know what use it is. Anyhow, since the reservoir can make it appear your B12 is ok with a blood test, you need a MMA and hist test. Also, check your folate levels as it is required to use the good B12.