Hi. 21 yo M. Last week I`ve noticed one of my toenails going dark and now it`s like going worse. My toenail is somehow separating from itself. Mom told me that I may have a fungal infection?! But I had some sort of a injury, while playing football and think that could be the cause. Anyway, I trimmed away the detached area and saw a new nail down there?! Maybe the injured one simply died or something? Or is it a nail fungus?

Hi. My toenail also got separated from itself and my foot doc told me I have a fungal infection. When you have fungus, the nail plate will completely lift from the nail bed. What was the color of your previous nail? It should be kind of a yellow. I had to use an abrasive buffer to smoothen the most ragged portion of the nail plate. Then I cleaned it up with alcohol, and sealed the surface with nail glue. Doesn`t mean you have a fungus infection. Trauma to the nail could be the cause.