Hey, I've had bad tonsil problems for about 5-6 years now which are swollen and deteriorating. Originally, when my family was on medicaid, the doctor gave me some antibiotics for them and it didn't do anything. He told me that they would get better as I got older. For the past couple years I have been feeling tired, depressed and overall in a 'low' mood. I'm not sure if it is a result of past experiences which could have caused me to be depressed (family of alcoholics and rough childhood) or if my tonsils are really getting to me. Originally they had about 1-2 holes in them which had tonsil stones come out but now it is becoming worse as I have gotten what looks to be like cuts or slashes down them as well which also sometimes get tonsil stones. I know the problem is definitely getting worse but I want to know if getting them taken out would help how I've been.

The main thing that causes me to believe it could be affecting my mood is that I had a high fever and very painful tonsil problem half a year ago, I was given a prednisone shot which made me feel 'alive' for a few days. I honestly felt like I was dead for a few years or maybe that I died and was experiencing some sort of event before my brain was completely dead. I know that, of course, a steroid would make you feel great but it just felt right.

Any help is very much appreciated, i'm hoping I can finally get my mom to get us back on medicaid so I can get this operation done.
If it's any help, i'm 17. Had this problem since I was 11-12.

Bump, I really need some sort of advice here please.

Hi there! I personally feel that you have 2 seperate issues going on at once, which may be interconnected. A rough childhood and a family of alcoholics is not a healthy starting place for anyone, and the long term stress this can place on your emotional and mental health will have a knock-on affect to your physical. This obviously leaves you with an immune system this is unlikely to be operating at optimum efficiancy, therefore leaving you suseptable to infections. Hence the recurrent tonsil problems. And from my experience, once the tonsils have had to deal with recurrent bouts of tonsilitis, they can become permenantly damaged, leaving you even more likley to get infection....a vicious cycle!

After years of recurrent tonsilitis and a horrible case of quinsey (which it sounds like you may have had too), I finally decided enough was enough and had mine out. I also suffered with tonsil stones because my tonsils were so swollen and damaged, which as you know can be very embarrasing as they cause bad breath. Anyway - the recovery is brutal but I do not regret it for one moment.

If I were you I would consider having the Op if you get the chance, which will deal with the physical issues. Then I would turn your attention to your emotional sadness. No 17 year old should be feeling the way you do. Nobody any age should, come to that!

Have the doctor check your thyroid. its a simple blood test