how long is the recovery time for a chila after having tonsils / adanoids out, my girl is about to br a bridsmaid nine days after the operation is this enough recovery time,

Hi Denis,

Unfortunately I have to say that this is too soon to get full recovery. It usually takes up to 4 weeks, but not everybody is going through the healing process in the same way. First week is crucial and if she doesn’t have any complication in the first week she is on a good way to function normally in no time. Second week she should be in some pain an irritation but not as in the first week. If you ask me should will be able to be at the wedding and be a bridesmaid but I don’t think that she will enjoy it enough. She will not be able to drink any alcohol also and the most of the food will be off limits because she will have a hard time swallowing.  

OP asks about recovery time for a child therefore Alcohol doesn't really enter in to the equation. Tonsils recovery is 14 days with most children recovered by day 10 if no complications arise. As for food anything goes although chocolate may "sting" and "sticky" food such as ice cream, peanut butter etc. should be washed down with a drink so not to coat the wound. Rest, limited contact with people and lots of fluid with pain medication managed should help prevent infection and make the recovery time less painful. I am in the UK so we may do it differently here but I would imagine recovery time after a tonsillectomy would be the same worldwide. 

It depends on the person I suppose.

I'm 28, and its been 9 days since my operation and I'm pretty much recovered. Just a slight sore throat. Eating and drinking as normal now, including alcohol and am only on the odd Paracetamol med wise.

Maybe I got lucky, who knows, but having a tonsillectomy was mild and only took a week to recover from