My daughter is a very talented young swimmer. Her coach wants her to start participating in competitions. I’m very happy and proud about that, but something is bothering me. There is this growing trend of using dietary supplements. What do I have to know about that in order to protect my child? Are some of them allowed and not dangerous? Do I have so many reasons to worry?

Well, You shouldn’t exaggerate, but this only means that you’re aware of the dangers which a professional sport brings with itself. Firstly, I want to say that I’m strongly opposed to use of any dietary supplements because I think that good results can be achieved by proper training, good nutrition and excellent mental condition. Those are the things to take care of and if your daughter follows few simple rules, the sky is the limit! I actually don’t know whether vitamin and mineral pills are considered to be supplements, but I think that even if somebody wants to use them, it should be checked whether they’re not on the black list. Anyway, explain your daughter that there are some dangerous food supplements.