I get to buy a treadmill!!!

So I need advice. What do you have or would recommend? What to stay away from?

This would be a treadmill for heavy running. And heavy runners, 170 lbs and 185 lbs. We will put alot of mileage on it.

I am mainly concerned about durability, and reliability. It has to have a good cushion to run on. I really don't care about a HR monitor, calories burned, or programs built into it, or a DVD built into it.

Don't get an Ironman. We have one here at the station that doesn't get "heavy" use, since we all have weight standards to keep to. No one here uses it as much as I do, but it seems to have more problems than it should, especially since it's only about a year and a half old. Which of course is past the warranty time. We've had at least half a dozen instances of it breaking. Seems this one is cheaply made.

My mom has one that has a wooden platform. It's nice to run on! Not sure of the manufacturer though.

I don't have any recommendations for you, but watch out for the noise level, too. I've heard that the fold up ones aren't as good for heavy runners and high mileage runners. Good luck!

Signed,

Jealous

invest in a good treadmill.

we have a precor that has worked mostly every day for the last 7 years without fault. it's a stripped down model.

RAS probably has the best info for you. i would never buy low here, the motor size, strength, and durability is the main issue -- everything else is fluff.

you'll really be able to log some miles thru the winter kim, it should be a great investment for both of you. good for you!

I have been looking/dreaming myself. I'd get a TRUE. The are know for durability and have basic no frills models as well.

I've got a Visioin Fitness 9500HRT that I've had since 2003. I managed to crack the frame on it and they replaced the whole lower part of the treadmmill and all I paid for was the labor because the labor warranty was only 1 year.

It gets a little squeeky if I don't oil it regularly, but that's my only complaint.

Long enough deck, goes 12MPH and has a 15% incline. That's all I need. The display is pretty stripped down, too.

I paid $1,600 for a floor model. I think it retails closer to $2,000 new.

speaking of treadmizzle experts...what kind do you have at the gym? what's the main difference between a "commercial" one and a regualr one? the motor size?

I have a Proform. It's a stripped down model that just has speed and the clock and calories etc. (no programming on it) but I love it as much as you can love a treadmill.

Dave (my ex) is over 225 and he ran on it a lot and we had no problems with it.

Good luck!

speaking of treadmizzle experts...what kind do you have at the gym? what's the main difference between a "commercial" one and a regualr one? the motor size? We have star trac at the gym. They had them before I was involved. They are OK but I would have gone with something more basic. Typically yes, the motor is more heavy duty on a commercial TM as opposed to a home model.

I've had a proform for at least 6 years now and I do 95% of my training runs on it. The only problem I've had with it whatsoever is the back 'feet' eventually broke off, but I was able to rig up a support system and it's been just as good for the last two years or so.

I spent $800 on it at the time, and it has just enough stuff on it and a good engine. When I first got it I was over 200#, so it's taken the weight (for the most part, obviously).

I will most likely upgrade to a different brand next time I get one, but it's been more than serviceable for me.

I get to buy a treadmill!!! So I need advice. What do you have or would recommend? What to stay away from? This would be a treadmill for heavy running. And heavy runners, 170 lbs and 185 lbs. We will put alot of mileage on it. I am mainly concerned about durability, and reliability. It has to have a good cushion to run on. I really don't care about a HR monitor, calories burned, or programs built into it, or a DVD built into it.
We have the Pacemaster Platinum Pro and love it - haven't had any problems with it. My husband researched and compared and researched some more!

I have a Proform. It's a stripped down model that just has speed and the clock and calories etc. (no programming on it) but I love it as much as you can love a treadmill. Dave (my ex) is over 225 and he ran on it a lot and we had no problems with it. Good luck!
me too! i have a proform, i got mine at sears, i have i think an xp590..whatever that means...but it has shocks on the deck, which i :pinklove: i had a proform before and loved it, i only got rid of it because i was mainly running outside...i needed it again, so we bought another proform...

Hey Kimba-

Just wanted to put an FYI about Nordic Track treadmills. We bought one from Sears in december and bought the extended service agreement. Well it's broken already! Belt slipping- well really the front roller actually stops. The customer service is thru nordic track only- first it took forever to get thru to anyone then she insisted I had to have the new part (roller) shipped to me with instructions on how to install. It got here and there's no way I'm installing it- so called back and now I have to wait for their service vender in my area to call and set up appt.!!! If I remember right you lived in rural Ohio- so do I- but only about 30 minutes from Columbus. So anyway- I wouldn't recommend Nordic Track!!!!!! Good luck.

Marcy