O.K....here is the first of what is bound to be many questions.

I am 6'1" and 235 lbs. Of course the reason I started running again was to get back to around 185 lbs. But for now, let's just say I'm a big guy that needs new shoes. My older NB's are killing my calves.

So after doing a little research it seems every source out there suggest motion control shoes for runners who "tend to overpronate" and are best suited for "big or heavy runners who need plenty of support and durability. These runners often have low arches (flat feet)".

Well all this seems a little presumptiuos on thier part. I mean, when I was 140 lbs my senior year in high school and running 10 miles a day, I didn't have flat feet. Can I assume that my drastic weight gain has somehow flattened my feet over the last 5-8 years? I'm just not convinced I need these hard and heavy shoes.

So what do y'all think? Can going to a running specific shoe store and having them look at my feet be the anwser? All I want is a shoe that makes a big heavy guy feel like he's running on clouds. :D Am I expecting too much until I drop the LB's?

Thanks!!!!

Definitely. Find a local running store and ask them what kind of shoes would be best suited to you. Most places let you run a few blocks in the shoes before you buy too.

Is there anyone here from Houston that could recommend a knowledgeable running store with a good selection?

Thanks....
Chris

I've got the playing cards that say that...it serves as a daily reminder, texas.

Since it's your 'club' you crazy cowboys and cowgirls will have to think of one yerselves.

Just beware of the Wisconsin Mafia!!!!!!!!

Someone dubbed us the Texas Rangers once... :shrug: although during baseball season I have to say I'm slightly less partial to that name... ;)

I'm actually headed to Luke's and possibly Fleet feet tonight. The shoe saga continues...

RT, I'm glad you were able to get some good advice. Both here and from your LRS. (OK, maybe not real local.) But I will answer a couple of your questions.

Yes, you can assume that your weight gain has excacerbated the stretching out of your arch ligaments. Sadly, this also happens with age. :(

Yes, going to a running specific shoe store and having them look at your feet could be the anwser. As long as they don't try to 'force' you into a shoe that doesn't work for your feet and biomechanics.

And no, you're not expecting too much. Although I would suggest that for your health you also drop those lbs.

Take your old NB's to the store with you. That will help the friendly shoe sales associate to see what you look like when you run in them. Which can then help them make a determination for new shoes.

And, let us know how it turns out. You too, Cheryl.