I can't quite recall when it first began happening, although I would assume mildly a few years ago. Nothing that would alert me to be concered at least.

I'm 16 and I twitch. I would assume it's the fact that I have major anxiety (which I am on medication for but doesn't seem very helpful in terms of twitching or anxiety.) Mostly my head shifts to the left or right side very quickly and sometimes violently.

There are times where I can't sleep because I have a weird sensation in my feet to have them moving constantly. I usually rub one foot over the other gently and it eases this - but other times I feel like I have to wiggle them both around quickly for long period of time for it to possibly go away.

I also notice I clear my throat a lot. I thought this was due to the fact that I smoke. But remembered it happening frequently before I had started smoking. I will clear my throat, cough or grunt. I tend to do it a lot when I am lying down trying to sleep. Occasionally when I am sitting down my toes and feet will twitch or even the lower half of my legs. W

hen I sit down after walking for a certian period of time, my legs will feel extremely tingly and will also occasionally twitch then. There is another I am not quite sure if it is relevant. Sometimes I get a tingly feeling in the back of my head, normally the left upper area of my skull. It's almost like a very slight shocking sensation. That's the best way I know to describe it.

There is another thing with my hands - it hasn't happened much thankfully. My fingers wil twitch rapidly and uncontrollably. Now they just more so shake than twitch/jerk. But I am known to have major depression and as said before, anxiety and possibly borderline personality disorder.

I'm also almost positive I have low-blood sugar. My body is always rather cold. I have people touch my hands and that's the only way I can realize how freezing I am. They will say "Oh my god, your hands are freezing!" and I will feel the warmth of their hands on my own.

Anyway, my point was that maybe the slight shaking in my hands I experience more now than the twitching is because of low blood sugar? I mean because I do tend to shake a lot and only sometimes it's because it is cold. Other times I notice heat is on and it is not cold and I still shake and can even feel cold. These things do worry me and I already have many problems at the moment. Many suicidal thoughts and attempts. However I don't think anyone in my family has had problems like this, but then again. I have never really looked into it or asked. Very few people are aware that I twitch, and most that are aware - only know/have seen me penis my head to the side abruptly but nothing more. I rarely tell anyone for fear of misunderstanding or shrugging it off. Please if you have any knowledge, answers, advice or even can relate - send me a reply. 

Thanks - Emma

***ATTENTION I DID NOT WRITE "penis" I wrote "penis my head to the side." No misunderstanding or laughing matter, please.  I don't know how to edit my post or I would change it....

Oh my goodness *co

i get the exact same thing, except for the finger twitching, I haven't told anyone either, but i've found a lot of people online describing the same thing. Nobody seems to know what it is, but a lot of people say they start getting it around their teens. As far as I can tell, most people don't find it dangerous, but at the same time, it is often described as getting a lot more frequent. Honestly, I think your best bet would be to ask people you know, or your doctor, and mention that a lot of people seem to be having the same thing. That's what I'm planning to do, now that I know it happens to other people and could get worse.

Hello Emma

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not sure what to think of your particular situation but I highly recommend ask your family to go take you to see a doctor and explain all the problems you are having. Be sure to give the doctor as much detail as possible about the symptoms and medications you are on.

What concerns me the most is that you "shake your head violently". Before I saw this comment I was thinking this was a case of Tourette syndrome which is most serve in teens but it does not effect your life expectancy (not life threatening). It doesn't sound like a seizure because the entire body fall into violent shaking. These reactions could also be side effects of medications you are taking because you said you take medicine for depression.

I do not think this due to your blood sugar level because taking some sugar or dieting off of it would solve the problem you seem very young to be diabetic but stranger things have happened but I doubt this is the case just by listening to you. My gut reaction is see a doctor about this tell them the kind of medication you are taking its possible its a side effect and changing the medication may solve the problem. Also it could Tourette Syndrome and if thats the case there is nothing wrong with that. and do no think there is something wrong with you. Genetics and Evolution treats us all unfairly in different ways were all different! God bless I wish you the best and please go see a doctor to confirm. Sometimes if a doctor doesn't know its good to have two opinions.

Ok i just googled "WHAT IS A SHAKY JERK WITH A COLD BODY??" & this is what i got! Odd! Because i am a 52yr old woman ( just started the shaky jerk thing...& my mind wanders.....i almost lose my breath & pass out) as a young child i had alot of " OLD " PEOPLE THINGS... LIKE Diverticulitis, Colitis, Arthritis, lots of outside allergies.....I HAVE FIBROMYALGIA, Uncontrollable Diabetes, HORRIBLE SLEEP APNEA WITH INSOMNIA , had to have complete hysterectomy, Due to yrs of uncontrollable Bleeding....IT ENDED UP BEING CANCER ( contained to my uterus) AFTER 6 YRS OF PAIN & 4 DIFFERENT DRS.! By then i needed a SPECIALIST & being rushed 2-1/2hrs from home because my uterus was so big all my organs had shifted... I was borderline DIABETIC ALL MY LIFE... MY WEIGHT WENT UP & down DRASTICALLY ALL MY LIFE TILL I WAS 30, stayed big....til i was 50, LOST 110 LBS...IN A YR! My health went down hill after.....BAD! Alot of things are BACKWARDS ON ME.....INCLUDING SOME MEDICINES! I take DAYQUIL, I SLEEP FOR 2DAYS! CAN'T TELL WHEN I TAKE NYQUIL, It does nothing! I COULD GO ON ON ON....DOES ANY OF THESE APPLY OR HELP??? I JUST KEEP ON KEEPING ON, Some days....I CAN & SOME DAYS I CAN'T & HONESTLY SOME DAYS I DON'T....

I know exactly what you're going through. Some reason other people don't seem to get us. I'm pretty sure I'm around your age. I'm seventeen right now, and you wrote this about a year ago. For anyone who has our issue, let me describe how it works. Whatever is in our heads, we do it. To elaborate, we get sudden urges to do something if that specific movement is circling around in our thoughts, Like you, about a few years ago, Middle School, is when I started developing it. I believe it is due to our brains growing, and perhaps this is like a major form of ADHD? Anyways. I would twitch my whole body, and it would get worse when I'm trying to relax. I also twitch my fingers, and my neck, and sometimes I rub my body parts over another to satisfy my urges. Basically, our sudden movements only go away for a limited amount of time after we satisfy it. It's like an addiction, we get one hit, but then we need another one pretty soon or else we start to feel uncomfortable. I also grunt, or cough, and I'd do random stuff with my throat. Basically anything a normal person would do, I would do constantly because it's circling around my head.

Here's how to get rid of it. It's extremely difficult. But you HAVE to learn to forget about it. You can use different methods of powering your willpower or meditating. I'm not sure if there is medication. However, I've done before. I went two years with 90% of my twitching, gone. However the urges were still there, and that's something you won't get rid of. I limited my embarrassing moments to only the grunts and coughs and things I do when I'm alone. But I managed to get rid of the twitching and other flashy annoying stuff. If you forget about it, you won't do it. Simple is as that.

The reason that you specifically do rub your feet when you're in your bed is that it's a habit. Basically, a normal person would get a bad habit after a long period of time of performing that habit, we get it almost instantly, and then it becomes stronger the more we do it. That's why I refuse to smoke or do drugs, because I know I will be addicted. We have extremely low willpower. That's why we must "train" ourselves.

I'm here right now because I've recently started twitching again. And this is the most annoying thing ever. My parents take away video games, electronics, and other privileges because they believe that's the cause. EVEN THOUGH, I went through those calm periods WITH those items. It's so dumb.

Don't be afraid, or sad. There are more people like you out there. If you want to stop these embarrassing urges enough, you'll heed my advice. Just, learn to forget it. It might take a month, it might take years, but trust me. You WILL get through this.