The other day I was masturbating while my boyfriend was watching and at first I was really wet and and stimulating myself felt really good. After a while of fingering and clitoral stimulation, I became very dry and it got painful to finger myself. I also noticed that I was not able to climax with vaginal stimulation, but I did climax with clitoral stimulation. Is it normal that I got dry after a while and is it also normal to not be able to climax with vaginal stimulation?

Well, if you are wondering how to climax most easily, MOST women can't achieve orgasm based on vaginal stimulation alone. It is very, very normal to need clitoral stimulation to be able to climax, though some women enjoy vaginal stimulation at the same time. 

As for vaginal dryness, that could be a lack of arousal or a medical problem. Adding a good water based lubricant will take care of that problem for you, and so might more foreplay, sexy talk, etc with your boyfriend and perhaps reading an erotic novel if you're alone. 

In any case, whenever you notice that something is painful, that is a good reason to stop doing that thing and perhaps be more gentle. Perhaps using a vibrator instead of your fingers could also help with that. 

Many girls will orgasm from clitoris stimulation easier than from vaginal stimulation.
There is no harm in using some form of lubricant if you are finding you are too dry and fingering, sex toy play or intercourse is uncomfortable. if you don't have access to lubricant, you can try having your boyfriend perform oral sex for you, (licking your vagina and clit) It is a great way to not only get some natural lubricant but also increase your sexual arousal which will in turn will increase the flow of your vaginal fluids and the biggest bonus of all, it highly likely to give you a great orgasm.

Thank you very much for the tips and for your response. I have tried using lube in a couple of occasions and it does help. It is a little hard for me to have that with my boyfriend because we are in a long distance relationship, however, I do know that oral sex is amazing.
so basically it is normal if I am having a harder time climaxing during self vaginal stimulation?
Thanks again