Hello all,

I'm 17 and I have finally (after 4 years of pain!!) sorted out my phimosis, at least to the extent where I can pull my foreskin right back over the head when I have an erection. Started with two operations (frenuloplasty and preputioplasty, this means I have KEPT the foreskin) and then had to keep on working to stretch the opening as well.

As you can imagine I was pretty excited when I finally managed to expose my erect glans for the first time. This is embarrassing but it's probably important for me to share this whole experience if I'm to get accurate responses. I have this sex toy which is very tight (I was never able to use it before as it was too painful with my phimosis) so I was glad to be able to finally try it out 'for real'. I applied ALOT of water based lube and got to work.

I was very surprised/dissapointed when I got started. Don't get me wrong, it didn't feel bad. But since my glans has always been very sensitive (to the point of pain) when I tried to pull it back in the shower, I was expecting it either to hurt a hell of a lot, or to be mind blowingly pleasurable when I penetrated the toy. Instead I would describe the sensation as a dull kind of ache in the tip of my glans, although there was some slightly pleasurable feelings near the rim of my penis. But overall it was just so underwhelming! I honestly at some points felt nothing, as if my penis had been numbed by an anaesthetic or something. I came quite quickly but it felt like it was forced, not terribly pleasurable at all. I was using a very tight sex toy, which confuses me, I was expecting the sensations to be almost unbearably pleasurable.

I have noticed that a few things seem to affect the sensitivity:

1.) It is more sensitive if it is dry. (Could it be that the lube is blocking some of the feeling? This doesn't seem likely to me)

2.) It is much LESS sensitive when I have a full erection than when it's flaccid. It is almost painful to touch when I don't have an erection, but it is more of a dull ache when I have an erection, with some slightly pleasurable feelings.

I'm sure this doesn't make a difference but incase it does, I will mention that there is quite alot of scar tissue left from where I had my operation. It looks like a band of red swollen skin. It is sometimes a little bit painful to touch and much less stretchy than the rest of the skin. It makes it a bit of an effort to pull my skin back (at least without lube) since the swollen band kind of 'catches' on the dry glans. I don't think it has anything to do with the sensitivity problem. Either way I'm really hoping it will improve over time because it looks pretty ugly, when I pull my skin back a red band of swollen skin is revealed and when I pull it right back, it sits behind the rim, just looking ugly. (It is NOT paraphimosis, I can always replace the foreskin back  over easily.) Is there any way to reduce this swelling?

Seems like the battle with my penis is not over yet!

Hi Matt:

It sounds as though you had a really tight foreskin, but it is at least retractable now.

The nerves in the head of the penis are concentrated in the rim, which is called the corona, which means crown.

The nerves in the foreskin are concentrated in the ridged band, near the tip. These nerves are stimulated by the motion and stretching of the foreskin. When you have sexual activity, try to arrange the foreskin so that it can move. It is not necessary or even desirable to retract the foreskin to masturbate. When you use your sex toy, try to keep your foreskin forward covering the head and see how that works for you.

With most surgical operations, it takes some time for the swelling of the scar to go down. It sounds as though it has not been very long since you had these operations, so wait a while and see if it gets better.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for your informative and reassuring post, I would agree that with the foreskin moving things are an awful lot more pleasurable. In fact as you say, I got much pleasure from masturbation even when I couldn't retract a while back. My foreskin is loose enough to be brought back and forth, but if I arrange the foreskin so it can move, it just finds it's way right back and stays there. The only way it goes back forward is if I move it myself. It isn't loose enough to move freely.

My operation was actually 7 or so months ago which is why I'm alarmed that there is still significant swelling. My consultant prescribed steroid ointment which did not help.

Thanks!

Matt

I'll tell you my experience Matt. I have a foreskin too and even though it was always retracted for cleaning from when I was a baby the tip became a bit tight as I grew older and my penis grew larger. My glans was also super sensitive. None of this was a problem for masturbating. After I got married though I needed to have it go back and forth smoothly while having sex with my wife and the sensitivity was a problem when she was handling it during foreplay.

Like you I found the glans was much less sensitive after getting an erection. I also found that when I fell asleep after sex with it exposed so it was really dried out from rubbing on the sheets by morning I could touch it with no bad feelings at all.

Anyway, I stretched the tip so it would slide freely and my frenulum self destructed so the tip can now be pulled all the way down to the base. The sliding action during sex feels great and the foreskin stretching on the in-stroke is superb.

I still had the sensitivity problem and I fixed that by holding the foreskin all the way back and cleaning it well with cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol. When it dried I could slide my fingers over it without them sticking. I kept doing that gently until it was no longer painful. Of course that always created an erection which I had to beat down. It became so enjoyable that since then I have always masturbated by holding the foreskin tightly back and dry rubbing the whole thing. This gives me wonderful feelings from stretching the foreskin back and forth and the sensations of rubbing the glans and being able to feel my fingers moving over it are great.

You are right about the lube. If I use any lube on it there is little to no sensation from rubbing on the glans. My fingers just slip over it and I can feel the pressure of them on it but not the rubbing sensation.

That's my experience, I hope you find some of it useful.

Matt:

I imagine that, as you get older and you continue to exercise your now movable foreskin, it will continue to get looser and will slip more easily past the corona of the glans penis. In fact, when you reach that stage, you may not be able to keep it back, depending on its length as many men with long foreskins cannot keep them back except by holding them.

What exactly' if anything was removed? There is a band of transitional skin between inner foreskin and outer (really shaft skin) which is where the frenar bands attach, and it is very sensitive. The fact that there is redness indicates it may be scar tissue, which is thick and relatively insensitive. The sensitivity you attribute to the glans before you could retract was actually the inner foreskin. The glans is not very sensitive except right at the opening. Steroidal or Vitamin E ointment may helb with the soreness--at least it can't hurt!

One of us certainly had a strange glans and foreskin then. My inner foreskin was never sensitive at all but my glans certainly was. My inner foreskin liked being stroked and stretched. My glans was not at all fond of being touched anywhere. The best way I can describe the feeling was the same as the skin under a fingernail that's been ripped off. After the initial pain when it's beginning to heal you can't stand to touch the nail bed and can't wait for the nail to grow out all the way to cover it. That's pretty much what my glans was like when I pulled the foreskin back. The coronal ridge was particularly sensitive in the groove. The opening of the urethra was only sensitive if I pulled the lips open by rubbing across them sideways so I rubbed the inner surface. after desensitizing my glans the inner side o the urethral lips is still sensitive.

Roland I'm pretty sure the frenulum was removed, I can't see any skin connecting from my glans to my foreskin any more. The foreskin is actually getting looser which is great, and I'm finding it very pleasurable to move it around. I'm not too worried about sensitivity any more. HOWEVER I've come across a new problem, I can't put a condom on properly because the scar tissue on my inner foreskin forms a kind of swollen, puffy band under my glans when I pull my foreskin right back. The condom gets 'stuck' between the underside of the glans and this band of skin when I put it on :( besides that the scar tissue looks really ugly and it is lowering my self esteem. I'm going to start putting cream on it, but will this definitely go down in time!? I don't care how long it takes, I just don't want this for ever :(

We aren't all the same, that's for sure, but I have read that it isn't uncommon for the inner foreskin to be more sensitive than the glans, which has been my experience. I'm not sure if the same was true when I was young. My i.f. only likes a direct touch that is feather light, but best of all it likes gentle pressure transmitted through my outer foreskin, i.e., when not retracted. I used to come unretracted when in bed with someone with whom I no longer wanted to have sex and was about to break up with, by tracing circles on the smooth surface of the o.f.i and the other person never knew what I was doing, or that I was doing anything at all.

Matt, try flared condoms. They are looser in he action end to allow some foreskin movement, and I think this would avoid the problem with scar tissue. Dynex makes them. They are strong but thin. One of the types available is called Enhanced Pleasure. I have seen them on Walgreen's bottom shelf (presumably because they appeal primarily to uncircumcised men and we are still in the minority in the US) and I bought mine at undercovercondoms.com before I spotted them at Walgreen's. I understand that they shib condoms with more of a flare to countries that don't circumcise. That seems like logic based on a false premise--those of us that need them need them just as much as men in those other countries. I hope they help with your new problem.

I much appreciate the advice re. the flared condoms, however this swelling issue is causing me alot of self esteem issues. It looks REALLY ugly in some areas. Are you able to give me any advice on how to reduce the oedema?? I really think it all should have gone away by now! :/ but now it seems not to be healing any further...

Going back to your original post, it sounds as if the preputioplasty involved removing a ring of inner foreskin. This would have involved cutting through the frenum as well, hence the frenoplasty. Tell me if I am wrong. If you think my seeing a picture would help, you can send one, or draw before and after diagrams and scan them. Seven months seems a very long time still to have inflammation. Have you tried an antibiotic ointment? They are available over the counter at most drug stores in the U.S. Another possibility is a yeast infection in the scar. An anti-fungal ointment such as an athlete's foot remedy would cure that, but be sure to apply only a very thin coat. More is NOT better; it just doesn't work if there's too much. I have had experience with this in recent years; I now must blot the entire inner foreskin dry after washing or the yeast will return. It is normal for the glans to be less sensitive than the inner foreskin, even though one of your respondents reports the opposite--that's an individual variation. One more idea: If the scar isn't getting enough air to heal properly, there is a way to keep the foreskin retracted using tape. It was published by circlist.org so that men considering circumcision could try leaving everything exposed to see how it felt. It wasn't a very accurate test because there is so much more involved, and they may have discontinued it ror that reason. If you the onitments don't work, let me know and I'll try to write it up; I tried it on myself in case I ever got an infection for which circ was recommended. If I had to give up much of my inner foreskin, I think I would lose interest in sex! If none of this helps, you had better go back to the doctor who did the surgery.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Giannit thanks very much for the information. Do you think it might be a good idea to leave the foreskin retracted at night time to let the air get to it? I won't get paraphimosis or anything will I? I don't have a problem sending you a picture if you think it might assist you in the best course of action from now on. After all it's in a medical context and I can't be identified ;) I am confused, you said send them to giannit109 at the g site, what did you mean by that?

Cheers

"The g site" means gmail. Some sites filter out e-mail addresses; I doubt they do that here, but it's a habit I have formed. Do you actually have less inner foreskin than before? Whether leaving foreskin retracted at night would be harmful would depend on how much thicker your penis is when erect, and how tight your foreskin is. If there's any doubt, it would be safer to do it during the day. You would need some ]" stretch adhesive tape and the directions I can re-create if the original scheme can't be found. It would be helpful to see what the results look like, erect and flaccid, so I can see what you are working with..

Oh I see :) It does not appear I have lost anything at all, other than my frenulum I think. My foreskin can retract fairly easily when erect (it also goes forward very easily) it's not actually tight at all, but because of the swelling it is a bit awkward to retract at times because the skin is all bunched up. I'm going to send you those pics now, so check your inbox once you've taken some anti - nausea tablets ;) no don't panic it's not that bad lol.