Dear forum members,

I have a question for you all. 

I got a tub of shea butter and I am not quite sure what to do with it. I got given it on my birthday. It looks a little like candle wax in a tub, but it is possible to take it out. So, I am sure I recall reading somewhere that you can use shea butter to make your own healing lip balm for dry and chapped lips. I do happen to suffer from dry lips, so I am hoping to make some. 

I do need a homemade recipe for shea butter lip balm though. Do you have any good ones to share?

Thanks a ton!

Pickle

Why don't you mix half shea butter, half coconut oil? The latter will not only hydrate your skin more, it will also give you a nice shine that most people like to see on their lips. You will have to heat that up to get it to mix properly, and then you can pour it into a nice jar for ready use. To make it even nicer, you can add a few drops of essential oil, such as peppermint oil or lavender. 

You could even use an old lip balm container and pour the mixture into that, if you are the kind of person who likes their lip balm in a nice stick.

Oh, I think that is a beautiful idea! I often use coconut oil for cooking so I have plenty of that about, and your recipe sounds pretty easy to implement? So it's half and half, is it? I read somewhere that they advise you to put bees wax in homemade lip balm as well and I didn't fancy that, but this sounds like a marvelous idea.

Have you done it before? I like the idea peppermint oil more than lavender. But I'll try lavender first because I happen to have that in the house. And if it works out good, I'll get some peppermint oil.

Thanks a lot, this is really nice advice?

Not sure if that last sentence was meant to have a period at the end or you were asking. I'll answer just in case. I have never done this myself but have a friend who does that stuff all the time, making creams and lotions and ointments. This is not that hard, especially if you stick to simple recipes, and it makes for great products.

The best thing is that you know exactly what is in them, allowing you to avoid ingredients you are sensitive to or just don't like the smell or texture of.

You wanna make your own lip blam? Oh, that's so cool!!!

Not that I know anything about that stuff but I did hear shea butter is very hydrating all in itself. I've also read your posts so I know you're more into the natural look. If you wanna keep things simple, it dawned on me you could actually just mix the shea butter with whatever lipstick you like the colour of and then you've got lipstick and balm in one! I'd totally do that if I knew it'd work... test with a lipstick you don't love so much you'd miss it if it all went wrong of course, but it sounds like a great idea to me. 

All the recipes I looked at also required beeswax. Not that I see a particular reason not to use that - it should be no more difficult than the coconut oil and shea butter suggested upthread. I personally wouldn't be doing that because I am lazy like that and would, if anything, simply apply the shea butter straight to my lips and body, but if you are into making your own cosmetics, then yes, why not add the beeswax? I have the feeling that this is a more stable element that will keep the whole lip balm together. Coconut oil is very susceptible to heat and cold.