I got the mirena iud about 4 months ago and i have started having vaginal burning, itching, and a discharge. I am wondering if it could be the cause of this i have 3 children and i got the mirena iud about a month after my last child whom is 5 months. The burning has gotten so bad i have thought about going to the ER a couple of times. I even have small cuts around the vaginal area and the burning and itching only seem to come when i have a peroiod, pee, or sex. Sex has been the biggest reason the buning starts every time i thought i might be having a yeast infection which i have never had besides when i was pregnant so i took the yeast infection medicine and it went away untill the next time i had sex. I have had only one sexual partner in my life, so i dont think it could be an std could it. well unless he. well anyways.... could someone please help me.

-Hopelessly Hopeful

If you say it comes back after you have sex, it's probably because your husband is passing the yeast to you. It's best if your husband uses the cream that you use as well to get rid of the yeast that you pass back and forth.

Hi Hopelessly hopeful, I got the mirena about 5 months ago and i'm having the exact same symptons as you have explained I know how much it hurts but i'm glad i'm not the only one experencing this problem, i have been to the doctor where i got the mirena and i have dignosed with Bacterial vaginosis the string attached to mirena bacteria can grow on it. I aso thought it was a yeast infection.

My doctor suggested antibitocs and Natural BIO YOGURT i can't tell you how much this has eased the burning itching and discharge i recommend you try it out the below website is helpful

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I guess the only other option will be to get it removed but i don't want to give up to soon

I am so happy that I found this site. I having had the copper iud for a year and I also continue to have constant itching and irritation in the vulvar area. I also took medication for yeast infection and it went away for a short while and came back. I know my body and have had the feeling that the iud is the cause. I will try your website and bring this up to my doctor. More than likely I will have the iud taken out.

I have had my Mirena IUD for almost a year now. I too have had horrible vaginal itching and burning. I did not know what was going on with me at all. I went to the doctor and he treated for a bacteria infection but I still had the same symptoms shortly after. It got so bad that I thought my husband had given me an STD so I went to the doctor and had him check for STD's and they were all negative. I have also had hair loss and alot of other side affects. I am scheduled to get this removed tomorrow morning.

Wow!!! I also have the same itching!! I haven't had sex since it was placed 6 months ago, so I don't know how that will effect me and I have no burning, but the itching is INSANE!! And ultimately leads to the burning then when you just have to scratch! Lol. It all started immediately after having the mirena in, my 1 month check-up I brought it up to the doc who said it was a bacterial infection as well. Gave me a cream to inject twice a day for 5 days. It helped at the time, but soon after it all started all over again! I now keep handy in my purse where ever I go, some type of product for "feminine itching" because it can strike at any time! I am also contemplating on having it removed as well, but I don't have good insurance that covers many birth control options, so I know with this i'm guaranteed 5 years.

I AM THE SAME WAY EVER SINCE I HAVE GOTTEN THIS DAMN MIRENA MY VAGINA HAS BEEN IRRITATED. THE BURNING COMES AROUND SEX AND I AM ALWAYS DRY. I AM THINKING ABOUT GETTING IT REMOVED BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE THIS BEFORE.

Like the rest of you, I have had the same symptoms. I have had the Mirena IUD for 1.5yrs. For the past 12mnths I have been with my bf and sexually active. We have never had any issue until the last 2mnths. He says there is blood present a lot of the time but only when we have sex because its not something l notice any other time. Then there is the burning!! It is only there after the sex is finished and is so excrutiating when I go to pee! Both my partner and I have treated for yeast infections and not had sex during this time to avoid spreading the infection but that hasnt done anything. I have even been put on to medication by my GP for a yeast infection and that didnt work. It doesnt hurt at any other time besides sex :-( If anyone has had the Mirena removed....did this solve the problem??
8-|

hey hopelessly hopeful....i got the mireina IUD in dec. '07 and well about 8 months later i began to have this major itching at the top of my vagina where it like makes an n-shape. it starts itching about 2 weeks before my period and itches during it and then like a few after i stop. i haven't had it checked since having it inserted and well i know that i should have it checked out but my ins. sucks. i start itching so bad sometimes i make it bleed and burn. someone said you should bathe it real good...well i scrub it practically raw cause it starts itching while washing it so i know it's 100% clean. Having oral sex or regular sex doesn't bother it. i am to the point i wish to have it out but i can't remember to take the pill. i do apply vagisil sometimes and that sooths it for an hour or so. so just so you know i totally feel the pain you are having and don't wish it on anyone.

I have the same exact unbearable itchy vulva. It itches so bad that I have to scratch it. As a result of the scratching it becomes swollen and irritated. When I have sex with my husband I'm always dry and that makes the symptoms worse. I have light spotting and sometimes I have a REALLY painful cramping out of nowhere even when I'm not spotting. I hate Mirena. Google this and you will find many stories like yours MIRENA SIDE EFFECTS don't go to the official site go the others. I recently discovered this site about Mirena users and how they are trying to start a State Action lawsuit against them. There are crazy side effects many women are getting as a result of the IUD. I want to get mine taken out but I have no insurance now. It's a long wait until that day.

I want to almost cry after reading this because this freaking Mirena has made me crazy!!! Flipping whacked out crazy over my vajajay! I have been tested for STD's 6 times...and was about to go again even though I have no reason too b/c I have been itching for 2 weeks and it is about to kill me. This happens every 2-3 months and I usually go in and have a test done and once in awhile they say I have BV...one time it was trich (but they never did a lab slide so I doubt it was trich) other times I think the doctor think sI am crazy because she "loves" the Mirena and thinks it is the best birth control device ever. I personally think she needs to have one put in, have yucky brown discharge for 2-3 weeks out of the month and have a burning, itching crotch every few months and then say how great it is. The b*tch didn't even tell me it had any hormones in it until AFTER i had it in for about a month or two. The problem now is I no longer have insurance and planned parenthood said they would charge almost $250 to remove it...horrible irony since the reason i got it was it was the only form of birth control COMPLETELY covered by my insurance so I wouldn't have to pay every month for the pill. But now do the math and if I have it removed and count all the co-pays I paid in the past for tests (and i have been married for 10 yrs my husband would DIE if he knew i kept getting tests for STD's) it is probably well over the amount I could have spent on a script fopr YAZ. I know this post isn't helping anyone but i am just thankful to finally read this and then i could stop googling "signs and symptoms" of STD's!! So thank you ladies and I am so sorry to hear that you all have the same itch as me! lol

I've been dealing with lots of discharge and itching for the last three months but I've had the Mirena for 14 months. I've been treated for a yeast infection...over the counter, RX, I had to get boric acid from a compound pharmacist... very annoying. Anyway, I've wondered if the Mirena was the cause, but before I have it removed (because I love it), I will be getting cryotherapy on my cervix next month; the doctor wants to freeze the cells around my cervix hoping to stop the overproduction of discharge. To hold me over, I've been douching with a medicated douche--over the counter-- every few days to clean me out and help with the itching.

o.O
I also have the same symptoms. thank you for posting or I would've thought I was crazy. All this to not get pregnant.

I guess he will have to take action now, as I can't do anything else. What have you guys turned to for prevention? I am allergic to latex and rubber.

Thank you again for posting what I had figured but didn't know why.

I have been searching for answers about vaginal discharge, std's, burning, swelling, itching, pain.....BUT mine all began 20 days after having the Mirena REMOVED. I have now had a creamy discharge that flows 24 hours a day....fills a pad every 4 hours. Unbelievable itching and burning. I cannot even have sex because there is so much discharge. I have been tested for std, cultured, blood work, ultrasound and even a CT scan...and nothing- negative every test. I am going CRAZY out of my mind. I will say though, I had the Mirena for 10 months and it was the worst hormonal experience I have ever had. I was a complete basketcase, irrational, emotional....like I could not get a grip on life. I bled for 3 months straight after insertion and then without notice I would have a period for 24 hours that would be equivalent to a weeks worth of menstruating. I am SOOOOO happy I had it removed except now I have all of these symptoms with no diagnosis and stumped doctors who cannot explain my discharge, swelling and irritation. I feel like my inside are coming out of me. I also lost 10 lbs immediately following the removal.

Best of luck to all ladies.....hopefully your symptoms will subside after removal.

i have the same exact problem, and i too don't have insurance anymore to be able to take it out, ugh. it gets so bad sometimes rubbing alcohol is the ONLY thing that will make the itching stop, it burns like hell but it makes it stop because i go crazy itching.