Hello everyone. In October of 2007, I had the Mirena IUD inserted into my uterus. I was 22 at the time. Since the Mirena was placed, I have had several vaginal problems. My GYN has said that the Mirena has nothing to do with the infections. I have been told this by other GYN as well. After doing some research, I found that vaginal soreness and extreme vaginal odor are labeled as SEVER ALERGIC REACTIONS and that if any of these side affects occur then you need to contact your physician.
I was told when the Mirena was first placed that there was a good chance I could get a yeast infection from it because it was foreign to my vagina, and my body will try to fight it off. Low and Behold, a month and a half later I was back at the doctor for treatment for that yeast infection she told me I was going to get. A few more months passed and I started noticing an odor. I just brushed the smell off at first, and then a thin white discharge came. My husband was away at school at the time for two months. He got home about a week after I started noticing the smell. When we had sex, and he pulled his penis out of me, the slight odor that I had was severe and his penis was covered with a thick white discharge with just a hint of yellow. It was rotten smelling like fishy garbage. The smell was slight up till we had sex, then it was obvious and embarrassing after we were done.
I’m a clean person. I take good care of my body. The stank smell turned out to be Bacterial Vaginosis, which I had never had before. Since I have had the Mirena, I have had “BV” 6 times, and I get a yeast infection about a week after the “BV” treatment!! I went to a new GYN today to get treatment for a yeast infection and SURPRISE; I have “BV” again. She gave me a gel treatment and said that if this doesn’t work, then the Mirena needs to come out.
THINGS NOT TO DO IF YOU NOTICE FOUL ODOR FROM YOUR VAGINA: do not douche; do not try to cover the smell directly with perfumes.
THINGS TO DO: Always wear panties (cotton preferably) especially if you wear the same pair of jeans without washing them in-between wear. Wash with original light soap such as dove or caress. Rinse the area well and dry it well. Try keeping wet clothing off that area as much as possible such as bathing suits or sweaty panties. Double rinse your underwear. Dry your panties without fabric softener or dryer sheets.
Vaginas are the perfect place for bacteria to over grow. Each woman has bacteria in their vagina, but when the mucus membrane gets irritated, the bacteria can overgrow causing foul odor and itching. The smell is the overgrowth of the bacteria and it can be treated with antibiotics. It’s not sexually transmitted. So if any woman out there has found themselves getting vaginal infections more than often and they have the Mirena, there is good chance that the smell won’t stay gone till the IUD is gone. I hope this has helped. Please respond if you have had the same problem.

I think I have the bacterial vaginosis you speak of. I am uncomfortably itchy and I have noticed the smell. Ugh! I have only had my mirena for 4 weeks now. I will have to go back to the doctor. Thank you for your post because at least I know what is causing this.

I feel so much better reading this. I feel so dirty, but I shower twice a day to get rid of this smell. I have cramps as well. I have had my IUD for over a year now. I had to be put on antibiotics once already for an infection. I think I have the BV now as well. Im thinking about having it taken out. Thanks for your post!

After reading this..I now know I must get rid of this MIRENA! I have B.V. every two weeks and yeast infections like periods. I cant even afford all of these doctor visits. I hate it and now its back to the damn pill for me!!!

Well it's been a little over a month now and the BV is back again!!! The IUD is coming out and I'm going to get on Yaz.

Does the Mirena cause UTI ?

Well....I wish I had read this about 8 months earlier. I had my Mirena placed last August and have had all the breakthrough spotting for months at a time, not to mention all the yeast infections. This last thing though was very different. I was just diagnosed today with a vaginal bacterial infection which I probably had all along because I 'self diagnose' myself with a yeast infection because we as women know what that is RIGHT???? This time was different because the odor was just a little bit different than normal. I have been debating with getting rid of this thing for months now because I had started cramping ridiculously and spotting for over a month more than the normal spotting for a few days. The DR gave me some Cleocin, some Diflucan and a fresh box of Yaz!!! I should have never had that foreign piece in my body. Thank you all for the info. I though my husband had given me something because we were just about to have a talk.

I have to agree that the IUD does cause more infections! I've had mine in since 10/01/08 and Ive had BV now about 5 times.. and I type right now I have it (this would make #5). I called my dr. offices' nurse and was told shed talk to my doctor and get back to me. I told the man I wanted this thing out months ago but he did a good job convincing me to keep it in. I am just so sick and tired of getting these infections... the smell alone is just down right disturbing! I having that thought in the back of my head that maybe someone else could smell it too... I hoping to get something positive out of my phone call to my dr. office. I just wanted to share my experience with BV and having Mirena. Take Care Everyone!

hi i have had the mirena now for 2 years and 2 months. i can totally agree with you when you say that the mirena has given you all these problems. i cant tell you how many ive had i dont think i can count on my hand i really cant. i can not stand this damn smell i dont enjoy having sex with my husband cause i know its there even if i try to fake it. I had always thought that its was causing the problems but i wasnt for sure, now i see that more women are having the same problems i am for sure that the mirena is my problem. Now i know to get this sh*t out. THEY NEED TO TAKE IT OFF THE MARKET!!!!!!!!!!! How many agree with me???????????? XD

I have just had this things put in 3 months ago. I have been through hell with many ops to my uterus and ovaries and I thought this would be smiple and carefree. Not a chance. I have a chest and back rash/achne and now I am sitting with an infection. I have just taken an antibiotic( Urizone) and this does not even seem to help. Gosh I am not going through more pain. Men/husbands don't relalize how much we have to put up with. I have two children and don't / can't deal with this type of thing during the day. I cannot believe the Dr don't tell you about the side efects.

Ive had mine since Feb 14, 2008, what a grat v day(not)
After they put it in i felt sharpish pains in my lower pelvic area that happend once a month when my periods are suppose to happen and my period went from every 1-2 months to every 3-5 months. Lately ive been having sever pain in my lower pelvic area that i also feel in my back and its spreading to the left. It all sounds like a cyst to me. im also feeling very sick to my stomach with cramps.

I found out that mirena can cause ovarian cysts through a web search for "Mirena Lower Pelvic Pain". I also thought i had a yeast infection and i treated it with the cream and ended up going to the doctor a week later for my pain, Guess what I get a call saying i have BV so i was back on to use a gel for 7 days twice a day which the gel only lasted 6 days. I've had a ultra sound done last week so ill find out soon.

I'll be taking it out in august when my husband deploys to iraq. Back to condoms i guess. I suck at taking pills and dont need anything that will make me gain weight.

Its a good birth control meathod but i think we need to do the research a bout the mirena. Its still new so i doubt they listed all the real side effects till later when they get reported or show up in controlled studies. Everyone is different.

Oh here is a scary thought i just realized, the bacteria could be traveling up the string of the Mirena and go in our uterus. Maybe it travels there and later gets discharged out causeing a relaps in the infection. NASTY ewww

I have had an IUD since 2006 and I have had multiple BV infections as well. Now, I get this blackish brown discharge every month after my period. Lately it smells really bad like c**p in my vagina. I'm going to go to ensure I don't have a fistula or something. Unfortunately, my strings to my IUD are gone and getting it out will be difficult. I'm going to take it out though....I can't stand this anymore. It's hard because I really like not worrying about pregnancy. I'm going to go with the Ring.

I'm 19. I got the Mirena inserted about 6 months ago, it's my only option (because I am at higher risk for a stroke than most, and estrogen will add to it) besides progesterone only pills, which made me sick. I bled the entire first month, but it's decreased substantially. I barely have a period at all, and i think it's going to stop all together by this month. My only problem is the increase in yeast infections. I've been having unprotected sex with my partner, so I am going to start using condoms again to see if that helps. I also found AZO yeast pills that you take everyday like a vitamin to prevent infections. If I can figure this one problem out I will be very happy with the Mirena, if not I will probably keep it because it's my only female contraceptive option. I'll post what my findings, hopefully it will help someone with the same problems.

THANK GOD! I have always been a clean person, i have been completley miserable for 2 years. I cant believe i am just now searching for an answer. I can't take this anymore. Now I know it is this Damn mirena. Its embarrasing. I know others have smelled this and my husband too. I am getting this thing out and i encourage all who have one do the same. I have had discharge that seems to be getting darker and darker, like a yellow color and a god offle oder i cant even explain. some days worse than others but always there. And the itching. This can't be good. Thank you to all the women who posted a response, now i know im not the only one in the world like this. If anyone knows of a good birth control that wont make me gain wait and little side effects, please let me know. And anyway we can get this thing recalled who do we contact! This has ruined my dignity as a woman!