Just about 15 minutes ago I went to get something to eat, and when I swallowed I felt a sharp pain at the back of my neck. No, I don't mean the back of my throat. I mean the back of my neck, where my spine is. The pain didn't go away and I still feel it everytime I swallow. While it probably isn't serious, it's just a very strange location for a pain from swallowing to be, and I just want to make sure it isn't anything that is worth getting checked out.

Hey Dak,

I've been having the same thing for about a week now. I had put it down to straining it skating or maybe getting cold in it, but it has still not gone away. Keep me posted if you find anything else out. I don't think it is serious either, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had anything similar, perhaps it is some kind of a virus?

I have pain in my shoulder blade when swallowing. I have had tons of tests, and so far it is being diagnosed as muscle strain. I am in PT for it. It has been ongoing for 6 months now.

It's from sitting at your computer sticking our heads out like a turtle. If your monitor (or laptop) is lower than eye level or too far away, we'll incline our heads toward the screen, pulling the muscles in our neck. Hence, the neck pain when swallowing.