Hey there. I still have problems with my dog. Juan, my oldest dog, is still so depressed. He doesn’t want to play with me anymore, he doesn’t want to play with other pets in my yard, and I really don’t know what to do about it. I bought him some new toys, I was thinking that this will be helpful, but nothing. I was talking with my friend from Australia and she told me that in this case, when dog is depressed, I should try some good diet program, because it can help. I am not familiar with it at all, so can you tell me do you know what is the best diet for my depressed dog. 

Hey. It is really difficult to answer this question, because in this case, your dog eating habits are changing. In this case, maybe he will refuse some treats that he was eating before, and maybe he will eat something that is weird for him. So, my advice is that you should try to give him something that you haven’t tried before, because he might like it. Of course, avoid unhealthy and processed food, because I am almost sure that he will love it, and later you won’t be able to feed him like you are used to.  Good luck with it. 

Hello. I hate seeing my dog depressed and you’re on the right track with your question- maintaining a healthy diet is essential for both physical and mental health of our dogs.

The thing is, it is often too late when your dog becomes depressed to pull him out of that depression with a healthy diet. This diet should be used as a preventive and not the cure.

When your dog becomes depressed it is much harder for you to control his eating habits simply because very often he will refuse to eat. Their eating and sleeping habits change a lot when they are depressed and you usually can’t affect them.

Hey there. I don’t have a dog, so it is obviously that I can’t talk from my own experience, but my ex – boyfriend had a dog, and he was depressed very often. Until he changed his eating habits. So, in this case, like others told you, the best way is to put him on some healthy diet program. The best diet program that you can choose is the one that your vet will tell you. There are three of four really good healthy diet programs, so I am sure that one of those will be just fine for your dog. Good and quality eating habits will maintain your dog healthy and happy, I am totally sure about it! 

Hey there. I think that I am feeding my dog healthy, I am giving him raw meals, so I don’t know if there is some other way of feeding my dog, just to cheer him up. I am doing almost everything you told me, and I don’t know what to do anymore, because now  I think that this is not problem, so I really need you to tell me more about this. I don’t know, maybe I am doing something wrong, and I don’t know that. Of course, there are some small things that I need to change in my dog’s eating plan, and I will do this.

Tnx for your advice. 

You must know that the diet is not the only thing you should change in order to help your dog fight against the depression.

Try to give him all the needed attention by frequent walks in parks, play with him as much as you can, cuddle with him and don’t yell at him even if he deserves it.

When it comes to foods I think you should avoid canned foods. Try to make him meals from fresh ingredients and try to use fruits and vegetables. I mean- a lot of vegs and fruits. You can use a blender to make him pastes. Just combine some vegetables and turkey meat for example and you will get one great meal.

I also agree that simple changing of diet can help your dog to get out of the depression.

In my opinion, you should first try to understand what is the main cause of his depression. The most common depression triggers are moving in a new home, adding another pet, major changes in dog’s schedule, loss of a companion and so on.

For example if depression cause is the loss of a companion, you should get him another pet.

When you do this you can also try to help him by giving him foods that he really loves. Eating my favorite foods every day would certainly cheer me up. :)

I am sure that food does have a great effect on your dog’s mood. But it turns out, people don’t actually know a lot about it. Here is my advice, read it and determine if you will accept it or not:

1. Make him eat a diet high in nutrients

2. Fill his bowl with essential antioxidants

3.  Make him eat "Smart" Carbs for a Calming Effect. This means- limit sugar foods (dogs should not be eating those even when they’re not depressed) and choose  “complex” carbs (e.g. whole grains) rather than simple carbs . If he enjoys it, you can feed him with fruits, vegetables etc. All of that contributes to his well being.

As I can see, giving Mima the One ring will cheer her up. :)

About your depressed dog, it is true that changing his eating habit is just a part of solution. You need to be his best friend once again, and you can do that by spending more time with him and doing a lot of fun stuff you used to. You can try giving him his favorite treats more often (try not to overdo because of weight issues).

The key to happier dog is keeping him occupied and rewarding him for every positive behavior. Look at him as your new puppy and start all over. Only then you will succeed.