Hello! My son has conjunctivitis. He has never had problems with conjunctivitis but when he started to go to the kindergarten it happened several times. I think the hygienic conditions are not the best there. His doctor sometimes prescribes antibiotic and sometimes he doesn’t. He explained this was due to different types of conjunctivitis my son had. What are different causes of conjunctivitis and can you figure out what caused yours?

Hello! Your doctor is right. There are several types of conjunctivitis according to what caused it. The way your eyes feel always provides clues. Viral conjunctivitis usually affects only one eye and causes excessive eye watering, red eye and a light discharge or no discharge at all. Bacterial conjunctivitis affects both eyes and causes heavy discharge, which sometimes appears to be greenish. Allergic conjunctivitis also affects both eyes and causes itching and redness in the eyes and excessive tearing as well. There is also a giant papillary conjunctivitis which usually affects both eyes and causes contact lens intolerance, a heavy discharge, itching and red bumps on the underside of the eyelids.