Hi, I have joined an aerobic class because I want to lose a few extra pounds I have put on during the winter. With the workout I have also started a diet to help in the process. Just as the first results are starting to show, my friend is telling me that aerobic workout will not help me burn fat, but lose muscle mass. This disturbed me a lot, since I never intended those extra pounds to be eliminated through muscle tissue. Is my friend right? Have I caused muscle mass loss with my aerobic class?

Hi, your friend couldn't be farther from the truth. People lose muscle mass, but aerobic workout program is not the main culprit. In fact when you do cardio exercises that are a part of an aerobic workout you are improving your lung capacity. With this, you are enabling more oxygen to be transported to every cell in your body and this includes muscles. Also, the network of your blood vessels is expanding, promoting muscle growth too. So, aerobic workout every second day will not cost you any muscle mass. However, the diet you have put yourself on might. Did you consult with a nutritionist before you started this diet? Many women make the mistake in believing they have to starve themselves to get lean. This may help you to lose some weight, but these pounds are mostly muscle mass and not fat. So if you don't want to lose your muscle mass, you should have a well balanced diet rich in proteins and whole grain complex carbohydrates.