Hello everyone. I have a cat who has diabetes. She takes two shots of insulin daily and in the last year or two, she is doing great. I take good care of her diet, she receives her shots every day at the same time. I really give my best to at least make her life easier since I cannot cure her. What I wanted to ask you is about her diet. I hope there are people here who also have cats with diabetes, so we can share our experiences. Tell me, is it ok for diabetic cats to eat canned food? 

Listen, I don’t have a diabetic cat but I like to spend my spare time by reading about cat nutrition.

It’s very important that cats with chronic diseases such as diabetes have a healthy and balanced diet. That will improve their immune system and help them cope with illnesses.

Now, since your cat unfortunately has a chronic disease, you might want to avoid foods that you can buy in pet shops or markets. They are usually full of additives and supplements. You should go for natural, healthy prepared food.

I really hope that your cat will stay well. I like hearing that some diabetic cat out there is taken care of.

Hey, I don’t have diabetic cat and I never had it. But, I have a cat and I can never tell will this happen to me or not. I understand your situation, and I want to say that you should not be worried, because diabetic cat can live just like all healthy cats. My opinion about this issue is that you should not feed your cat with canned food, because I believe that you should give her home prepared food that is made with love and fresh ingredients. Of course, I think that there is nothing wrong with giving your cat canned food, but I think that you should prepare this food by yourself. 

Hi. I agree that you should avoid canned food, actually, you should avoid every food that is available in the pet shops as well. I am a little bit skeptical when it comes to this food, maybe because I am for raw food and home prepared food. Maybe that is the reason. But, again, I think that you should consult your vet about this issue. I have to admit that having diabetic cat is not easy at all. You need to feed her every day at the same time, you need to be careful what she eats and you need to pay attention is she going to eat something from the outside. That is big risk and you need to be extremely careful. 

Hi. My aunt has a diabetic cat. She's had her for several years now.  She adopted her from the animal shelter. The woman who works there told her that this girl brought a cat to the shelter after she had heard that she has diabetes. My  aunt also has it so she felt sorry for the cat and took her. 

Now she cannot live without her. She is like her third child. She takes really good care of her. 

She doesn’t feed her with canned food but I guess it would be ok if you could find some high quality brand.

Hello all,

I have a Russian blue cat. I got her few years ago, but I found out just last year that she has diabetes. At first, I was a bit scared because I didn’t know anything about it. But later I consulted some vets who told me that I just need to feed her properly and that she will achieve diabetic remission. That means she will no longer require insulin therapy. 

There are some canned foods which are good for diabetic cats, you just need to pay attention that the brand you’re using consists of high protein and low carbohydrate ingredients.

Hello. 

My cat is diabetic as well. It was a night mare when I figure this out, but after two months, I have learned how to live with this problem or health issue.I have a Birman cat, if you don’t know a lot about it, it is really gentle and it is really good friend. I was so sad when I found out that she is diabetic, like this was the end of the world.But, trust me, it is not.Your cat need some good, quality and nature balanced diet program, that has a lot of proteins and carbos, but you need insulin therapy as well.

Hey there. Um, I just found this topic, and when I started to read those posts, I was really shocked and surprised as well, because I was pretty sure that diabetic cat can eat canned food :/

I don’t know where I found this information, but I was totally sure of this.

So, you believe that this is not good? Why? Is canned food harmful for diabetic cat?

Or there is some other reason?

I never had this problem, but I know a few people who have diabetic cat. All I do know is that living with cat with diabetes is pretty much hard. 

Yes, prescription can and dry food ..I get it at Petsmart...WD Hills Diet for weight management and healthy digestion. ..my diabetic cat has been on it for over a year along with the two shots of insulin daily...He's doing fantastic