Hey friends.

I met my old friend today. We met at the vet’s office. I went there with my cat for some routine control, but she was there for something more serious.

To cut long story short, she told me that she found out four days ago, that her cat was diagnosed with renal failure symptoms. She came to the vet’s office to find out how she can treat her cat now. I understand that she is scared, she is alone since her husband died a year ago, and this cat is his :( I want to help her, so I was hoping that you can give me some advice what is the best cat food for renal failure symptoms? 

Hello.

That is so sad story.

I am really sorry to hear this :/

I understand why you want to help her, that is nice gesture.

I will tell you what I do know, and I repeat, I don’t know that much.

The damage to the kidney, unfortunately, cannot be fixed, but there are helpful treatment goals.

Diets with levels of protein and phosphorus are the element key of treatment. They maintaining hydration with subcutaneous fluids as needed.

Also, sometimes treatment such as diet program, cannot go without meds.

Also, I have hear that dry good also can help with this problem.Good luck! 

Hey you two, I hope I get to be of help here. As Millie said, you can’t really prevent renal failure from progressing, but she can make its progress slower and make her cat’s life a bit easier. If she wants to go for the food that is already on the market, tell her to choose the one with least proteins in it, or, make some on her own. The thing is, if you give your cat less proteins, her kidneys will have less work to do, which is good for them and so, for your cat, too. But she needs to monitor her cat’s condition, because she might need more proteins at some point.

Hello. No way that you can prevent this disease in your friend's cat. She has to learn how to live with it. All you can really do in this case is to slow progress of this disease, and trust me, in some cases that is like you healed your cat from it. Sometimes, I am totally against canned food, because I forced raw food in dogs and cats, but I have to be honest – I think that in this case canned food, from some brands are really helpful. Try to choose one that has a little bit of proteins. I hope that this will help her.

I was totally sure that there is a way to prevent this disease somehow :/ When I found out this, I was really sad.

But, what we can do. We must find a way to live with it. Because, with proper diet program, I am sure that cat can live longer, like all other ordinary cats.

I know that a diet that is high in good, quality protein and lower than normal amounts of sodium is recommended. When you control phosphorous intake, it can be important in controlling real failure disease.

Many vet insist that a renal diet should be low in protein, but I still believe that it has to be high in protein quality :)

Hey everyone, DS991 is right about this thing: she needs to put her cat on a diet that is low in protein, but it needs to be of high quality. Now, this is the best way to help her cat which has problems with kidneys, but it’s not that simple. That cat needs proteins, but it’s better for her kidneys that she doesn’t get them in large amounts. This means your friend will have to take her cat and run some tests more often than usual, a lot more often actually. Because regarding the results which are going to change as her disease progresses, she is going to have to change her diet.

Hey there.

So, I went to see my vet today, and he told me that most pet owners are on this low protein diet with high quality proteins, but that this diet program is not so fast and effective as we all think.

I don’t know what to tell her now, because she told me that she  started this diet program just yesterday, and she was really sure that this will help her cat. 

Maybe it sounds silly, but I think that she doesn't need to listen anyone in this case who is telling something different, and stay on this diet program until the end.

Anyone here with some good experiences?

Hey dear pet lovers. My cat, Disney, is having renal failure. I didn’t know what is this, and I did some research, I was googling some symptoms, and I saw that this can be renal failure. I went to see vet immediately, and he gave me some tips. To cut long story short, he told me that I can try with raw food diet program. And, I did it :) My cat was refusing this food at the beginning, it was really hard, she didn’t eat for almost a week, but later, she started to eat. I am satisfied with raw food, and raw food is my choice.

Hey everyone.

Love-is-pet, I don’t really want to contradict your vet, but I heard a lot of people saying that low protein diet is probably the best way to treat renal failure. There is no such thing as “effective” treatment for renal failure because you can’t heal it, you can’t make it go away. You can only make it progress more slowly, and that’s exactly what low protein diet does. It’s not so quick, that’s true, but like everything else when it comes to renal failure, it takes time.

But you might not be able to use it for a long period of time, because your friend's cat is going to need more proteins sooner or later, then she is going to need another solution.

Hi everyone,

I’ll agree about this low protein diet too, Love-is-pet. Almost every single vet recommends it, I don’t know why is your vet saying otherwise. You should ask him that. Everybody knows that cat's kidneys need less work to do in order for this disease not to progress. Now, the best way to do that is to give that cat food with a smaller amount of proteins than usual. That will make her kidneys work less, but she will need to monitor her condition as everybody else already said, because less proteins is not something you can keep doing for a long period of time.

Hey everyone,

I’m so out of my mind now.

I read all of your posts and I thought that a low protein diet is the best choice when it comes to renal failure. I’ve also searched the internet on other places and also saw low protein diet recommended. BUT I’ve also seen posts that recommend high protein diets.
How can both of them be good?

My cat was diagnosed with renal failure 2 days ago and my vet himself recommended
high protein diet to me. Although he did mention something about two different types of renal
failure, inflammatory and deficient. I think that, high protein diet is for deficient type, and low
protein is for inflammatory one.