Hi everybody, I have a Siberian Husky back at home and a friend of mine took him to the vet for a routine test. The vet did some additional tests and he found out that my Billy has renal failure. Now, the vet said that his diet is very important but my clever friend didn't pay attention to what the vet was saying. I'm coming back home from a business trip as soon as I can, and I don't know how to feed my dog when I arrive so I need your advice. What can I feed my dog with since he has renal failure?

Hello Simon22. When your dog is in this condition, he will have some symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach problems. When this happens, you should always make your pet’s dietary changes. The most important thing that you can do for your dog with renal failure is preparing a homemade diet, or even to prepare food with as much as water as possible. You should also limit your dog’s consumption of phosphorus. Also, you should pay attention to give your dog food that are naturally highest in proteins, such as meat, fish, peas, beans and dairy products. Limit the amount of the sodium in the food as well. 

Hello there. How are you…

You should definitely consider to feed your dog with home prepared food in this case. Maybe a lot of people already told you this, maybe it is boring, but trust me, it is the only cure.
I am telling you this because I was feeding my dog with food that I was preparing for me, he was eating everything – pies, fried meat, even ice cream.
When he was diagnosed with renal failure, I started to prepare food for him. He was much, much better after ten days, and now, I am still feeding him with this type of food.
There is no better choice, trust me!

Hi there.

Dietary protein foods are restricted for some dogs with renal failure. This restriction reduces the exposure of nephrons to toxins, and reduces their work.

Some protein products are toxic for your dog, so feeding your dog with low protein diet reduces toxin damage.

Also, you should consider feeding your dog with meat, because meat diets are rich in proteins and they are perfectly balanced for your dog organism.

Meat is having a calcium as well, and that is one more reason why you should consider feeding your dog with it.

It is easy, and I hope that this is helpful.

Hi Simon,

When it comes to renal failure, providing your dog a good diet is the simplest way to help him so be sure to pay extra attention to it.

Prescription diets all cost more than regular canned food, but vets say that they are effective against kidney failure in dogs. Usually, vets recommend the new Hill's k/d diet, Royal Canin Renal diet or Eukanaba diet. 

The main thing about these diets is that they contain less protein, but they have higher quality content so that your dog's kidneys have less waste to process. I suggest that you visit your vet when you get back from your trip and ask him to choose one of these diets for your dog regarding his current state.

Hi from me too!

You need to pick a diet that is lower in protein and sodium than other diets are. It’s the best diet for dogs with renal failure, but it’s not that safe if you don’t pay good attention to your dog. His condition is going to change as the disease progresses, so you need to monitor his diet carefully, and you need to take him to the vet more often for his blood tests. You need to care about his weight, that it remains stable, and that his blood protein level hasn’t dropped too low. If all of that is okay, protein restriction is the best step you can take.

Hey there.

My dog was so close to get this one, according to my vet. I don’t know is this true, but he told me that I avoid it. When I was talking to him about this issue he told me about some potential diet program that are good for dogs, if they have some problems with their renal failure.

Very often, your vet will recommend you dietary change, and a diet with big protein restriction is one of the most common diet program when your dog is diagnosed with renal failure. Attention must be paid on minerals as well :)

Hey everybody, and hi Simon!

I can agree with Mima when she says that you need to monitor your dog’s condition more frequently because he’s condition is going to change depending on the progress of his renal failure and depending on the diet that you chose for him. Protein restriction IS the best thing that you can do about it, but as Iwon said, homemade diets are an awesome thing, the best, but only if you know what you are doing! If you are not sure about making the food yourself, use some of the diets that vets recommend, Hills diet seems like the best.

I happen to have a dog that has renal failure! It’s not easy, even though it was a lot harder at the beginning, now it’s just a routine.

But as far as you love your dog (and who doesn’t), you’ll do whatever it takes.

I work 2 jobs at the moment, but I still always find time to make some food for him.

I always cook and prepare special meals for him because I know that it is the best thing I can do for him.

I put meat in every single of his meals because it’s rich in protein, I put fish more often than other meat. I usually put some peas and beans with it, carrots, and potatoes too. He loves it!