I have a boyfriend who is 20 years old and I have to ask anyone here for help. His acne is bad and I do no to help him. I want him to feel happy, and I can see he is annoyed about those red pimples. Lately I have noticed he has scars from old ones. Is there any advice or explanation to help us?

First, you and your boyfriend should understand what acne means. Acne refers to lesions or pimples caused when the hair follicles, or pores, on the skin become plugged with oil. These pores could also contain and dead skin cells. A plugged follicle is the perfect place for bacteria to grow. Then bacteria can create the red bumps and pus-filled red bumps known as pimples. Bacteria that cause acne are called Propionibacterium acnes. Hormonal changes during the teen years often cause increased oil production that contributes to the problem of acne. Most serious scarring is caused by the more severe forms of acne. It is happening with nodules that are more likely to leave permanent scars than other types of acne. The best way to deal with acne is to get treatment soon after the acne appears. I could give your boyfriend advice to see his doctor or dermatologist for treatment.