Hello. My husband was discovered an aneurism of thoracic aorta. I think it is not so serious, but his doctor suggests some lifestyle changes. He was in hurry, so he told us that he would suggest this next time we visit him, but I would like to know what kind of changes should be made. Thanks.

Hello. Beside regular therapy, lifestyle changes are very important when discovered aneurism. First, I suggest your husband to quit smoking. This bad habit is very dangerous and he should quit if he hasn’t already. Smoking has an influence on elasticity on blood vessels including aorta. He should also control his blood pressure regularly. High blood pressure makes aneurisms to grow and that is dangerous. If he is prescribed some blood pressure medications like beta blockers, he must take them regularly. He should also eat food with low fat. High blood levels of cholesterol can make ulcerations in aorta and that is a trigger for dissection of aneurism. Some moderate exercising is also recommended. He should visit his doctor regularly as well.