Hello! I’ve taken up cycling recently and very soon I’ve got completely into it. Now I want to dedicate more seriously to training. That’s why I’m reading everything about cycling and the lifestyle that goes with it. I’d like to learn something about food for cyclists, since there are experienced cyclists among you who know a lot about this subject. What I should eat and what I shouldn’t eat?

Contrary to the belief that since cycling is a very demanding sport which burns a lot of calories, the food should be very balanced and it’s not exactly like you can eat everything you want and be in shape and fit. The food you eat must be healthy and rich in carbs, fibers and vitamins. For example, your diet must include grains, meaning that you should eat whole-wheat bread, pasta, potatoes and alike. Then, vegetables such as broccoli, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots are very important because they contain fiber and necessary minerals and vitamins. Fruit, especially, bananas, apples and oranges are carbohydrate suppliers for your body. Include energy bars and gels together with isotonic drinks while you’re cycling. Sometimes I eat meat, mainly chicken or fish. Jelly-babies are excellent during training also.