I plan to take up long distance riding. Ill read a bit about diet and proper nutrition for a long distance cycling. Can you tell me something about food supplements that Im supposed to take? Im not very fond of these minerals and vitamins in pills and Ill take them only if I have to. How about protein drinks? Ive heard that theyre not very healthy.

As usually, people do tend to exaggerate with everything including the protein intake. In my opinion, you should stick to protein in natural ingredients and especially if youre a recreational cyclist. As a matter of fact, its quite dangerous to take large quantities of proteins can cause heart problems and even failure. Nowadays, many instructors advise athletes to boost up their muscles by consuming animal products with high percent of proteins. I just think that you can have a balanced diet, drink only water and hypotonic and isotonic drinks (you can even prepare them yourself) and some energy drinks or gels and youll be fine and have great results. As for proteins, take them naturally, through food.