Hi, I have started to workout in the gym six months ago. At first I was overwhelmed with the workout program, but now I am very satisfied with the exercises. In fact, I think I should increase the frequency of the workout and the weight I am lifting. Currently I feel that I could work out every day. However, my trainer thinks this is not a good idea and that this way I would be overtraining. I didn't hear about this term before and I would like if someone could explain what would be overtraining?

Hi, the rest period is as equally important part of the workout as the exercises. If you were not aware, the muscles actually grow while you rest and not while you workout. So if you start working out every day, you will not only slow the progress, it may happen that you decline in your performance. The term overtraining is used to describe the changes that happen not only in your physical, but psychological state when you workout more that your body can handle. However, there is a way you can workout every day without overtraining. If you feel your workout routine is no longer satisfying, you can change it like this. Start working out every day, but do not exercise all of the muscles groups in every workout. One day you could work on your upper body, the next on your legs, and the third on your abs and so on. This way you will be able to do more exercises for the particular muscle group, without overtraining and allowing your muscles to rest. However, you shouldn't do anything on your own, but talk to your trainer first. He will design a workout program that will prevent you from overtraining.