Hi, I have been feeling back pain for two years. Most of the time my lower back hurts, but every once in a while the pain spreads all the way to the neck. And when this happens I am in so much pain that I can barely get out of bed. I have been to the doctor and he did some tests. The results were all right and he told me that there is nothing wrong with my spine and that the reasons for the pain are my weak spine muscles. He suggested that I should start to workout to strengthen the muscles. I have tried aerobics and weight training, without success. Is there a workout program that can help me to strengthen my spine muscles?

Hello, there is a workout program that was designed especially to strengthen the spine muscles. The Pilates Method was invented by Joseph Pilates as a method of mind and body conditioning. Pilates thought that abdomen, lower back, and buttocks muscles are center of the body and that they have to be strengthened to allow the rest of the body to work properly. The exercises are mostly focused on these muscle groups. The movements are very precise and you will have to follow the instruction to the letter to get the results. The workout is intended to be done fluidly. The Pilates exercises increase flexibility, strength and lengthen focused muscles. As a result you will correct your posture and balance. Pain will of course go away after some time.