Ok I have always had a weight problem my heaviest was 340#. about 6 years ago I lost down to 179, then I got pregnant and gained 94# back lost about 40 ,but got pregnant again and now I am back up tp 260#. I am now 40 years old and am 5'6'' tall. I have always been able to loose weight easily once I get started. I have been on a program now I work out 5-6 days a week I do strength training w/ a trainer 3 days of the week and the other days are my cardio days. I usually do 45 min of cardio and 1 hour of strength training. I have reduced my caloric intake and try to eat around 1500-1700 calories a day of healthy foods, whole grains, fiber rich foods, veggies etc. and drink plenty of H2O but in the 5 weeks I have only lost 5 1/2#"s. I am so discouraged I am working really hard what could I be doing wrong???

Part of it could be your age because your metabolism can crash as you get older and losing weight can be harder. If you are 5'6", however, I think that your caloric intake looks a little high if you are trying to lose weight so that's my best guess. Your body may not be processing calories as it once was so perhaps try taking that down a bit? If not, try seeing your doctor to see if there isn't something else happening. Keep us posted!

I agree with healthnfitnessguy. Also, maybe you haven't change the portions of the food your eating. Since our metabolism slows when we age, I also suggest to cut back on the portions. If there are still no changes, you may need to consult a professional.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.

you're losing a pound a week which is excellent.

My personal opinion is, that at 260 lbs, 1500-1700 calories might not be enough food for you. but, that's just my opinion.

as we age, metabolism usually slows down because we do.
i live in an over 55 community. the active ones are fit because they move. many of them eat like horses.

i have hashimotos thyroiditis for which i take medication...and i had a total hysterectomy two years ago. for whatever reason, after surgery, i gain ten pounds...i still lose a pound a week and i have little help from my endocrine system and i have no reproductive system or hormonal assistance.

what you're eating now is what i eat normally. i don't count calories. i just don't keep junk in the house. if i want something that's not part of my program, my honey and i go out and get it. we really have to want it.

a pound a week is awesome. don't worry so much. it will come off.

this is a lifetime process. it took years to put it on. it will take a few years to solidify a healthy lifestyle.

Hi there, I noticed that you posted this thread awhile back. Are you still having trouble losing weight or are you starting to have more success with it? Let me know how you're doing, okay?