I do not really know if these are cholesterol deposits that I have on my eyes (someone told me that)… I am 22 now and about 6 years ago, these little pimples started to occur on my eyes lids. They are very small in size and are hard when touched (for example, I cannot squeeze them). How can I remove them? They are really bothering me and also look very unaesthetic.

Hey there,
Yes they are cholesterol deposits and mean collections of fatty substances in the skin. They are also called xanthomas. I think dermatologist can remove them, but I think it won’t take a while before they return. Maybe you should talk to dermatologist or some other specialist and ask them, what the long term treatment is, so these deposits won’t come back.

Cholesterol deposits look like globs of white fat under the skin. Blocked oil glands look like hard little pimples that can't be squeezed. A dermatologist can lance the oil deposits, quick, easy.

Cholesterol deposit removal, however, will take longer and will include dietary lifestyle changes to improve cholesterol levels in your body and laser burning the surface layers of the skin (painless with local anesthesia, you should be able to drive yourself home) This laser procedure will need to be repeated a a few to several times about once a month until the deposits are gone.

Cholesterol deposits are not 'lanced and removed' in the office as I've seen posted to some discussion forums but if you can afford surgery (insurance will not cover this), perhaps your dermatologist will be able to remove them all at once. It is a cosmetic procedure rather than medically necessary so your insurance will not cover having any of this done.

Without lifestyle changes: lose weight, choose better food, good supplements, they will likely return.

Hint: What the average American perceives and proudly sets on their tables as food is NOT food. It is not even nutritionally sound. We've all heard this before and we all KNOW what to do but we don't do it: FISH, POULTRY, FRESH VEGETABLES, FRESH FRUITS, WHOLE GRAINS, NON-FAT and LOW_FAT DAIRY. Plus eliminate or strongly limit fats, red meats, processed foods and 'white foods': White Flour, White Sugar, White Potatoes, White Rice, etc. and completely eliminate high-fructose corn syrup. That's it. Eat as much as you want of good foods, eliminate the junk. (Note: in response to 'what is wrong with the high fructose corn syrup commercials, the commercial states: "in moderation", however this product is found in just about EVERYTHING and especially in the highly-processed, resembles food substances the big business hold on this country has slowly 'taught' Americans to accept as a nutritional substitute for actual food.

(and before I get off my soapbox, LOL, register to vote and learn something about what you're voting for. We deserve better food, better information, and better monitoring of what Big Business is feeding us, figuratively and literally.)

I get these too. I am very in shape, exercise 5x a week for an hour, and watch what I eat. Still, they pop up every now and again. My cholesterol is not high either (I get it checked yearly).

Now, I'm NOT recommending YOU do this, especially since the location of yours would make it rather difficult - but I'll tell you how I got rid of one particularly unattractive one that was about an inch under my eye.

I took a plain sewing needle (thinnest I had), dropped it in boiling water and then sterilized it with rubbing alcohol. I also rubbed alcohol directly on the skin where the bump was. I held the skin taut and then used the needle to carefully lift a little bit of skin off it. After I had made a little opening, I was able to coerce the cholesterol blob out by lightly squeezing.

Not the most glamourous or safe of methods, but it worked for me. I put neosporin on it and it healed just fine, no scaring. Mine was really close to the surface of the skin tho. Im sure that helped a lot.

Anyhow, since yours is on your eyelid, definitely go to a dermatologist and see what they can do as I don't recommend going near your eye with a needle.

I had one just on my lower eyelid for a few months but just successfully lanced it with a sewing needle and by sliding my eyelid closer to my cheekbone so as it wasnt directly over my eye in case i slipped /gulp 8-| Im not recommending this technique to anyone of course but after poking just around and underneath it i was able to make the little annoying white dot go away and the area around it doesnt look bad at all. I came looking for a thread about this topic just after the 'procedure' was complete. :-D God Bless!

I MAY HAVE A CURE FOR THIS!
I have had these fatty deposits for a few years now and they got bigger. I have been to the dermatologist and they put acid on them and told me to come back in three months. Then they put some freeze on them and told me to come back in three months, well this just didn't work. I went back to the doctor and they said you will have to go private and get it lanced off. Huh! Well recently I tried wart & varuca freeze spray it only costs £10 from ASDA... Yes it worked It's basically the same stuff the dermatologist used. But you have to be very careful when applying, make sure you dont get it in your eyes as it will burn. You wont feel it at the time and if you get the fatty bit bang on you dont even feel that. I haven't got rid of them completely but at least I can wear concealer now and it doesn't show through as big blobs of makeup. You hardly even notice them. I reckon another week or so I will apply it again and they should be gone well until they decide to appear again. I hope this is helpful to all you people suffering from these horrible things on our eyes that people comment on all the time. It just makes you feel really down, now I'm happy with my little discovery and I hope you give it a bash and see how it works for you too.

hey! you should check ur cholesterol levels because they might be high, and if so you should be treated for that with statin drugs, excercice, diet, etc... if u treat the underlying cause, they should go away, consult ur primary Doctor...

Dr. Bello

Anonymous wrote:

Dr. Bello

I have, my cholesterol levels are very high due to medication I'm on but the doctors wont give me any statin drugs as they think I am too young for this at the mo. But thanks for your input anyway. My way worked and only cost £10 I don't have these fatty deposits any more. Life is more managable. It was just to let other people know that this way actually works.

i get this one too, good thing i don't have that pimple thing that's why am not bothered that much. a surgery should help but i think you should talk to a dermatogist and see if there's any other option, i believe there is.

im 17 and i have one under my eye i want it to go i am thinking of trying the needle trick after i get my blood tested my mom had this

---------
They think you are too young for medication? I'd be worried about WHY I had high cholesterol then....and if no reason, I'd want to get it lowered somehow. So many younger people have high cholesterol these days. Must be our crappy diets without enough fiber and too much meat.

I have them too. I first started getting them in my late 20's. Just thought they were white heads at first until they wouldn't pop or go away. I've gotta take better care of my skin. I think wearing make up without washing it off or not keeping a daily face care routine as contributed to these annoying buggers.

I have xanthelasma on my upper eyelids. My doctors told me that it's a genetic condition, and occurs regardless of serum cholesterol level. Indeed, my cholesterol is relatively low, and I work out regularly. I had the deposits removed once, which my insurance did cover as it does other medical procedures, but they returned about six months later. I have read that treatment of high cholesterol levels with Zocor has resulted in spontaneous disappearance of xanthelasma in some patients.

So, if you have this, and not an oily mass of some sort, you're likely just prone to getting them, especially considering your young age. That doesn't mean, of course, that a good diet rich in HDL-promoting foods and lots of exercise shouldn't be an integral part of your lifestyle!

Wow, ok. I have them under my eyes and they look like blobs of unsmeared make up. I went to a plastic surgeon and they said there is nothing that can be done. I went to a dermatologist and they used a "wood burning kit" looking thing and burnt them off which hurt considerably and left me doctoring my eyes for several weeks. It didn't look very appealing and I have to face the public everyday. They are back again and I just don't have the money to keep giving this maniac with a "melting stick" that wants to burn my face. I read the other posts and have many times wondered about using that "wart remover" freeze off stuff. I think I will try it. Sure is a lot cheaper and can do at my leisure.