My 4 1/2 year old niece has a vaginal discharge discharge which looks yellow and smells not very good. She weights 49 lbs. Just started going to kinder. What should I suspect or treat her for?

I have just noticed the same problem with my 6 year old daughter and was looking on here for advice also. I want to bring her to the doctor but don't want to put her through the embarrasment if there's nothing wrong.
I thought maybe she wasn't wiping good enough but I don't think that's the problem. Anyone have any advice?

hi there. sounds like a bacterial infection that needs to be treated right away.

Hi my daughter is 4 and when we took her to the doctor she said that she had a yeast infection. They sell kits at CVS Walgreens ect that can test for them to see if that is what your daughters have. I thought that it was unusual for a girl that young to have one but the doctor told us that girls can get them from birth. I hope this helps

I had the same smelly issue with my 4 year old daughter and had her swabbed...turns out it is a staph infection...yes in her vagina...and I can guarantee 100% that it is NOT from impropr contact with anyone...my doctor said it is most likely due to improper wiping.

Although it is not common for girls that age to have vaginal discharge, it is also not uncommon.

Thinking back to my childhood, I remember at around 6 years of age experiencing annoying itching and discharge. It is very much the same as a grown woman having discharge, especially if conditions allow for a yeast infection to arise - extreme temperatures, tight underwear, synthetic fabric, etc.

My daughter, now almost 6 years of age has been complaining of itching in both her vagina and rectum and in recognizing the symptoms of yeast levels being high, which is something I battled with in my twenties, I told her to lay off sugary foods (which is always a tough one with little ones because they always want sweets) and reinforced the importance of her cleaning herself well. I also showed her where I keep my medicated towelettes for vaginal itch. I had my boy only 18 months ago, and during and after pregnancy is a time when yeast levels in the body will often increase, plus other problems like constipation and even hemorrhoids can develop, so for a long while I was battling with those and I therefore I always have those wet wipes that have anti-itch solution on them.

My husband will often be the one to put together her lunches for kindergarten so I have just talked with him about making sure that he avoids giving her sugary foods (i.e. pudding, snack bars, etc) and even breads for a while. Anything that contains yeast (pastas also) needs to be avoided. If we give her pasta, it needs to be wholewheat pasta.

As I mentioned about my battle in my 20s with yeast, I started getting a lot of infections and even almost ruined a relationship because of something my doctor told me that made me then not trust my fiance at the time. People can drive themselves crazy thinking that there is something wrong, but the human body needs to be in balance... and, what through my body off balance was the fact that the doctors ( the same ones that were making me suspect my fiance ) had put me on the pill at 16 for my acne. I started reading up on yeast infections and candida and discovered that the pill, and antibiotics (which I had also taken for my skin) are the big culprits in killing the friendly bacteria in our system called Flora, which keeps the body in balance and keeps yeast levels down. That is why natural yogurt is so good for you because it contains that same friendly bacteria in it. These days there are products you can buy that will help balance that out for you too, and there is even some on the market for children, so I strongly recommend that in addition to checking their yeast levels, adjusting their diet if needed, also look at adding yogurt and probiotics for kids (I give my daughter Culturelle). Of course if the problem persists you should probably have them checked by a doctor because it could be something else.

But, most importantly, act like it's normal so that they don't get worried or think like there is something wrong with them. My daughter was very excited tonight when I gave her one of my pantyliner's for her to use for the discharge. She's seen me wear them and I've always just told her that they made me feel comfortable when she's asked why I wear them... tonight, I told her that the discharge is normal, that girls and ladies sometimes get that, but starting tomorrow I am monitoring even more closely what exactly she is eating and getting her back on the probiotics.

Women will often get yeast infections because their immune system is run down, for whatever reason, and sure enough my daughter has a cold right now, so that is probably causing her system to not tolerate things as well as it normally would. It is important to keep an eye on our little girls to make sure there is no abuse going on, but a yeast infection doesn't immediately mean that there is something going on, but if you suspect something, then by all means take your little girl to the doctor immediately - don't wait.

Actually, it is quite common for girls this age to have discharge. It's mainly due to a bacteria infection caused by improper wiping, bubble baths, or perfumed soaps.

What did the doctor prescribe my daughter is having the same problem she is 3 and think it's what ur daughter may have had

Hi my 4 year old has a yellow discharge that smells yuk ..reading this made me feel abit at ease.

Hi. I have a 7years old daughter who's discharges yellow and foul smell. Initially she was taken to see medical and she was given antibiotics both injections and tablets later last year and early this year. After the completion of the drugs, the odor and discharge left but yesterday, it's started again. Please help me with the permanent solution.

Very well said... Thank you for your help