New Reply New Topic Followed by 20 people

Hi, since I quitted smoking a year ago, I have only been feeling more and more sick. I don’t have enough energy for routine activities, feel exhausted, I gained weight and lost self-confidence. Why is this happening?

Think of those who suffer lung cancer or emphysema, and you will see again all the benefits of not smoking. When these people picked up cigarette for the first time they certainly think it would end up like that. The younger you were when you started smoking, the higher are your chances for developing any smoking-related illness. You can manage your weight by carefully choosing what and how much you eat, or you can even add metabolic enhancers to your diet. Some other substances like caffeine or guarana have stimulating properties, but you should avoid becoming addictive to them either.

Certainly you may be experiencing a lower energy level due to depression. I know when I quit smoking, I triggered a major depression that lasted for quite some time. I would rather deal with depression than die of cancer however!

Not to discount how badly you are feeling. If you have low energy levels and feel sick, you should definitely see a doctor. Of course quitting can have something to do with it, but don't for a minute think that going back to smoking will make anything better. I've ruined more than one quit with that kind of thinking, and I promise, promise, promise you it doesn't actually help in the long run. I still felt bad AND I was smoking again. Go to a doctor! Take a deep breath! Take stock of your feelings. Talk to some friends that actually know what it was like to be addicted. Don't give up on feeling better.

Many people get ill right after they quit nicotine smoking, something that is undoubtedly due to the nicotine withdrawal process. The worst of that goes on for around two weeks, and the psychological aspects continue longer. 

At a year post quitting smoking, you really can't attribute your symptoms to QUITTING smoking anymore. Your illness could be related to your years of smoking, but not to quitting. It can also be completely unrelated to smoking. In either case, if you are feeling this way, I would see a doctor and make sure that you're seen to. It sounds like depression or anxiety, and there are treatments for those. Smoking will not make them stop. 

I quit smoking towards the end of Jan 2007. In March I had an general anxiety attack. I have been feeling depressed and lost self confidence all together since then. I am on 50 mg of Zoloft right now...

How long did your major depression last after you quit smoking?

Is there a light at the end of the tunnel for me?

:-(

I quit cigarettes 4 months ago and I'm sick all of the time. I mean as in sever sore throat, congestion, respiratory infections, etc. I've been to the doctor multiple times and they say my lungs are fine but I have bacterial infections. Well, I've had 5 of them in a row now and they always end up in my respiratory system.

Is this normal? I smoked a pack a day for 17 years before I quit. I hope this doesn't stay this way forever because I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.

jwark wrote:

I had 2 strep throat infections about 2 months after quitting...got nervous but have not had another one since then...had nausea for about 4/5 months since quitting and general anxiety/depression for 8 months incounting... :(

It's been non standard symptoms and durations for me but I hear it can be different for everybody..

I am still clean from smoking for 10 months now...it is still a battle but I feel like I am finally winning
:P

jwark wrote:

I was going through the same - had strep throat twice in a month. It has been long months since I quit but I only now I am starting to feel better. You have to be patient...it will pass and then you will be stronger.

jwark wrote:

Don't get scared or discouraged. I smoked for over 20 years, pack a day and when I quit all hell broke loose on me. My body and my mind went nuts and took me for a ride that lasted more than a few weeks or months. During this time among other things I had several bacterial infections in my throat almost one after another...

You will not read about this anywhere but definitely beware that everybody will have to go through their own fight struggling with their own symptoms - each body has a unique way to recover - ALL IT WILL RECOVER EVENTUALLY - YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IT !!

STAY STRONG and DO NOT PANIC - IT WILL ALL BE GOOD SOON - HAVE FAITH and CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF.

I quit smoking about 5 months ago. I have spent the last three months fighting cold/flu like symptoms. I went to the local med center when it first started because it felt like a strep infection. They told me I was fine, just a little cold.
It would go away for a few days, only to come right back.
I finally gave up and went to my doctor. He told me that what I was experiencing was like a detox effect. Not everyone goes through it, but it isn't that uncommon. He wanted to avoid giving me any type of inhaler or nasal spray because this could pass as quickly as it started.
Just knowing why I feel the way I do, and knowing that it isn't going to last for ever is making all the difference.
Why don't people tell you about this?
I joined to quit assist programs and no one warned me that this could happen. I just wish I could have been prepared.

I am on day 10 of not smoking. I have smoked for 25 years. I feel awful. I have a very dry sore throat, coughing till it hurts, nasal congestion and laringitis. I wish I would have known also. My boyfriend also quit and has no sympton except he is eating more. I hate him. I hope this only last a few more days. It is hard to work becuse my job deals with people that I have to talk to and it is very hard to talk. Good Luck to everyone, for this is the one of the hardest things that I have gone thru. :-(

I has certainly been a long ride for me. My body had gone through a significant period of physical and mental struggle once I quit smoking cold turkey after over 20 years. I too had bacterial infections of throat , skin issues (guttate psoriasis), prolonged nausea (for months) and elevated anxiety. I had to seek medical help for the latter and thank God it worked.

My road to freedom from smoking addiction was definitely not the easiest but I think I had finally won - it has been over 1 year and 1 month.
At the time, I could not find any information that this path of self-detoxing was not that uncommon..

For those who are experiencing the difficulties, stick with it, it is worth it but if you start getting any mental issues don't hesitate to see the shrink. They say depression/anxiety associated with quitting smoking may last a few week - but it may as well last much longer, it simply depends on an individual.

GOOD LUCK!

xenad63 wrote:

I am on day 10 of not smoking. I have smoked for 25 years. I feel awful. I have a very dry sore throat, coughing till it hurts, nasal congestion and laringitis. I wish I would have known also. My boyfriend also quit and has no sympton except he is eating more. I hate him. I hope this only last a few more days. It is hard to work becuse my job deals with people that I have to talk to and it is very hard to talk. Good Luck to everyone, for this is the one of the hardest things that I have gone thru. :(

Yep - i have not seen a mention of such detoxing process anywhere on smoke quitting sites or literature but it is exactly what happened to me as well - bacterial infections, upper respiratory issues . Glad I am not unique...

Guest wrote:

Why don't people tell you about this?

Don't stress over your health. Your body is detoxing and will eventually return to normal. Thinking that you may have something else will literally drive you crazy ..and for no reason. If necessary get some Zoloft .... not too bad for depressive thoughts or anxiety....

Know that this will pass.

I quit smoking on 12/01/2008 after smoking for 35 years. I have anxiety, heaviness in my chest and sometimes, difficulty in taking a really deep breath. I have had back pain, lack of concentration, and a host of other things. They seem to change every few weeks I am assuming this is the healing process. I've been to the doctor and had a chest x-ray which came back clear. My throat is now hoarse and dry. You have to believe that this will pass and that there is an end in sight and smoking is not an option. I will never, NEVER, do this to myself again. Good luck to all of us.