Couldn't find what you looking for?

TRY OUR SEARCH!

Table of Contents

Craniosacral therapy, the manipulation of bones of the skull to influence muscle activies in other parts of the body, has been around for 40 years. While many claims for the method are exaggerated, there are some situations in which it clearly works.

There is growing body of case reports regarding the successful use of craniosacral therapy after standard medical treatment for a kind of brain tumor called a meningioma. This is not the better know, more aggressive (and almost always deadly) kind of brain cancer glioma. A meningioma is a tumor of the meninges, or lining, of the brain. About 90 percent of meningiomas are benign. The other 10 percent are cancerous, but this kind of brain cancer progresses more slowly than most other kinds of brain cancer. 

Meningiomas can cause seizures, double vision, problems with various kinds of sensation, and severe headaches, however, and they are typically treated by the least invasive techniques available. Gamma-knife radiation is most commonly recommended in the US and Europe. In the aftermath of treatment, there can still be headaches, dizziness, and double vision, and that's where craniosacral therapy comes in. This very gentle therapy, at least in a few cases, has been associated with relief of symptoms after traditional treatment for the disease. It's just not an alternative to needed medical intervention.

If you have one of the many conditions listed earlier in this article and you are desperate for relief, there's nothing to say that you won't improve after you get craniosacral therapy. It's not inherently harmful except in a few very obvious situations (immediately after craniectomy, or sawing open the skull surgically, for example). However, before choosing craniosacral therapy, it is a good idea to go through the following considerations.

Q. What kind of training is required to do craniosacral therapy?

A. Many states in the US do not regulate craniosacral therapists, so your therapist is not required to have any other training at all. In practice, most healthcare practitioners who offer the technique are chiropractors, osteopaths, or licensed massage therapists.

Q. How many sessions are necessary?

It is highly unlikely that you will experience improvement after just one session. On the other hand, it is more common to feel better after two or three sessions a week for three or four weeks. Your therapist may be counting on your feeling better as part of the normal ups and downs of your disease.

Q. How much does craniosacral therapy cost?

In the US, sessions with a craniosacral therapist typically run $100 to $150 each. Some therapists offer a discount for treatments for children. Your initial visit is likely to cost more. Visits to the craniosacral therapist are almost never covered by insurance. 

Q. Are there any red flags that indicate that a particular therapist is someone I need to avoid?

Craniosacral therapy is complementary medicine, not alternative medicine. Anyone who tells you that you don't need to see your oncologist, or you can throw away your insulin, or you have exotic conditions that a medical doctor cannot treat and you need craniosacral therapy is a quack. Run the opposite direction! Most practitioners of craniosacral therapy, however, are sincere, and their treatments can't hurt you. They just may not be all that you need.

If you have a neurological or neuromuscular condition and nothing else has ever worked, and you have the money to spare, and you aren't foregoing any needed medical treatment, craniosacral therapy may be worth a try. It just might work for you. A placebo treatment that works is still a treatment that works.

  • Haller H, Cramer H, Werner M, Dobos G. Treating the Sequelae of Postoperative Meningioma and Traumatic Brain Injury: A Case of Implementation of Craniosacral Therapy in Integrative Inpatient Care.J Altern Complement Med. 2015 Jan 21. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25607593.
  • Jäkel A, von Hauenschild P. Therapeutic effects of cranial osteopathic manipulative medicine: a systematic review. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2011 Dec.111(12):685-93. Review. PMID: 22182954.
  • 'Mind map by SteadyHealth.com
  • Photo courtesy of Wonderlane via Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/wonderlane/3275117133

Your thoughts on this

User avatar Guest
Captcha