I have one simple question. I am a man and I would like to know more about ovulation. My wife has already told me about it but to be honest, I did not understand her. I want to know how does ovulation works because we are planning to have a baby. How does ovulation work?

It is nice to hear that you want to know about ovulation. Most of the men don't even bother, but some of them want to know everything. I will tell you some basics about ovulation, for you to understand it. It is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary and it usually occurs regularly, around 14th day of a 28-day menstrual cycle. Once the egg is released, it is capable of being fertilized for 12 to 48 hours before it begins to disintegrate and this is the most fertile period of woman’s cycle. During ovulation, chances of conception are highest. The exact time of ovulation can vary within the cycle, because it can be delayed by a number of factors such as stress, illness, diet or increased physical activity. Fertile period starts about 4-5 days before ovulation and it ends about 24-48 hours after it. Sperm can live in body for approximately 4 to 5 days, and the egg can live for 24 to 48 hours after being released. Your wife is most fertile on the day before and the day of ovulation. Knowing fertile days can help increase chances of getting pregnant, or in other case, avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

How do you know when you are ovulaing

you can check your discharge and if it's the color of egg whites, and if you can put it between your fingers and stretch it without it breaking, than your ovulating. it's usually about 12 to 14 days after your last period. but not always.

If there's no discharge, can you still be ovulating?????

as long as you have a period, you ovulate. what i did was counted about 14 days from the first day of my last mestral cylce and my husband and i had sex then. i got pregnant in two months.
i also drank lots of room temerature water
made sure he was on top
and drank lots of whole milk
i don't know if that helped me, but it's worth a shot. and it wouldn't hurt to start taking pre natal vitamins.

achampagne- did you have a girl or boy (for my research for the shettles method) You did notice the egg-white discharge though, right?

Every time I have gotten pregnant I have noticed it .. but I am really observant. It doesn't have to be a lot and somtimes you have to ... check.

You can also chart your BBT (there are some really good websites to help you just google Ovulation charting and Basal Body temp) but I wouldn't bother doing this unless you have tried for a few months to no avail. Day 14 is a Great rule of thumb...For instance with my last pregnancy my last cycle started Jan 20th- I concieved on Feb 3
(AM is always best according to some researchers, and girl on top and man having a caffinated drink 30 min prior to intercourse is ideal for male conception-which is what i have had BOTH times and ended up with a boy)(This is because male sperm are faster, stronger, and react to caffinee, but they dont live as long as the female sperm so dont have sex before day 14 if you want a boy...if you want a girl- dont have sex on days 14,15, or 16 just to be sure- but do on 12 and 13 ( I know no one talked about gender selection but I just find it interesting and fun :-)
Good luck to all of you and I to am VERY impressed that this man is here wanting to learn about ovulation...She is a lucky woman :-)

well, i think that we concieved a bit earlier than day 14. i had noticed the egg white discharge, and my husband and i had sex for the next three days, and i think we concieved on the first time. (according to how far along the baby had grown from the first ultrasound. i thought i was 7 weeks and 3 days, and the baby measured 7 weeks, 6 days.)i had had a miscarriage three months before, and my periods were not regular yet. so, i kept track of my discharge just to be sure i did not miss my "window of opportunity".
and i actually am still pregnant and will find out the sex of my baby tomorrow. i will let you know for your research.

well that's some great knowledge people!! I ususally have a lot of discharge, but havent' been really taking notes on the time in my cycle.. today is day 15 of my cycle (apr 29) and I haven't noticed anything, a little yesterday evening.... how come i'm not ovulating?? had intercouse on Apr 26 and 27, was hoping to concieve...If i ovulate the next couple days, what are my chances that I will get pregnant from prevous intercourse??

Can't really put a percentage on "chances" but some say sperm can live 3 days some say 5- it really depends on the health of the man because sometimes its only 24hrs. Grab your man and keep going:) With my first son we literally did it DAILY from jan 5th until Jan 29th (when I got my positive)- Its a tough job but someones gotta do it :-) With my last little guy its was a one time shot and like I said b4 he even "supposedly" pulled out. Just a luck of the draw...one thing that's a definate when i am ovulating is my libido is SUPER high and that's how most people are if they realize it or not.... Good luck and I have my fingers crossed for you :-)

Thank you so much for your replies.... maybe when you want it so bad it won't happen!!! when I put im my dates on babycenter.com it sais my fertile peroids are from Sun-fri, so I had sex sat and sun, so I guess we better get at it again the next couple days... but i'm not having any discharge at all,,it's weird, cause i usually have it all the time.... You never know, I could be stressin over nothing, it could all be happening inside me right now..... (fingers crossed) but i have been really frisky..lol..the last couple days!!!! I"ll keep ya posted!!!

take care button. (cute name by the way)

well, when trying to concieve a baby, you really should relax and enjoy it. it's a wonderful, and fun time for a couple. i know relaxing is easier said than done, especially if you feel "it will never happen!" there have been people to give up on trying to concieve, and once they stop trying so hard, it happens. so just relax, and enjoy it. i hope it happens soon. good luck.

The past couple days, last night and still today especially i've been having crampy like pain the the left side lower stomachand its tender when i press on it...What could this be, could it be related to ovulation or conception,,, Ifi conveived it would only be 5 days....any ideas?

Thanks- button is my nickname for my husband and lilbutton, peanutbutton, or buttonfly iare just some of my nicknames for my son :-)

I agree with achampange- when my husband an i were just "having fun" we conieved the first month when our first child passed away and we finally decided to try again I was WAY too anxious for it to happen because i was consumed by this overwhelming need to mother- it took over 4 years! and it didn't happen until we stopped trying---well, it took 2 years but we had a miscarriage - I believe that too was stress there was SO much going on and I was overly terrified of all the things that could go wrong. So the moral of the story- RELAX! and have fun- And I swear when you do that your pregnancy is SO much nicer too- when I was stress free I had the easiest pregnancy known to man-happy as could be- when I was stressed out I was hospitalized every other week for hypernemisis (excessive "morning" sickness)(morning sickness 24/7) that was NO fun....I
I SO have my fingers crossed for you euqinom- Like I said before I "knew" I was pregnant every time the "second" it happened- and I swear I started feeling symptoms after the first couple days- when you are "in tune" with your body you can feel the changes- So maybe you got lucky and have a wee one growing :-) l

just to let you lady's know, i am having a boy! it's clearly a boy! my husband and i are very excited.
i'm hoping for you euqinom!