Hello. I'm 14 as it says in the title. I'm still a virgin and all that. I started to have my period when I was around 12. It scares me that I don't have my period every month, instead I have it like 5 months. My mother keeps on tellin' me that I'm still developin' but it's scary. Before my period there was this oder. It smelled fishy and nasty and it grossed me out. I thought I should scrub between my legs but I've read in books that if I do it's wrong becuz the vaginal area cleans it self. I was around 10 when I started to get daker in between my legs. It sickened me and of course I washed. I thought myself as dirty and felt bad. Then I started to form bumps on my inner thighs. They would hurt when I touched them and purplish bumps formed on my vaginal area. That's when I started to get my period and I got darker. It's like a dirt looking thing. Like you haven't cleaned yourself. I always cleaned myself. I was in 8th grade around Feb and I started my period again. It's now summer in July and I still haven't had my period yet. For a while after school it all stopped. But then in July I started to get bumps again. The other ones went away but now they always come back. They seem to form always on my right inner thigh. Barely on my left. It hurts when I walk and makes me feel uncomfortable. I started to have brown dischange that appeared on my underwear from time to time. I ask my parents about it and I always want to see the doctor but they never do. Maybe it would be nice if someone on here told me what is happenin'. My parents wont ever listen to me and answer. I'm afraid I have a tumor sometimes or cancer. I'm afraid that it is givin' me signs that in the future I wont have children or have sex becuz of my problems. I'm afraid that if I do get a partner he'll be sickened by the smell and appearance. Is there someone out there that can tell me what is happenin'?!?!?!? Is there a doctor in the house?!

hi!
Iam 26 year old and i also have smelly periods.so,bad smell like fish smell.I have a problem that i do not have periods now.Means before 32 days i have periods which were come after 50 days.i listen if girls do not have periods or irregularity in periods they have problem in reproduction and also they are going to be fat ,specially lower abs(below belly button abs)
and i also started that faty problem .My ab is swollen like a bulk...m my periods are smelly panic and clot type.is this normal in this age that i have clot type periods.very cloting.What is this? plz tell me.one day before my periods i have itching in my hands and feet and they are swollen and redish.some time i have migrine before ,middle and after periods.plz suggest me something.

plz if you read this kindly suggest me wht am i doing?if u know the solution of my problems than plz solve them.
I am thankful to u.

Amanda I think if I was you I would definitly see a doctor. If your parents won't listen or won't take you then maybe when you go back to school you should ask to see a nurse and ask her about it. Let her know your parents say it is normal so they don't want to take you to see a doctor and ask if maybe she can help. If you school has no nurse I would ask to see a counselor and see if she can help, because your case does not sound normal especially if it is painful. If you are really active especially gymnists I know that can mess with your period cycle. If you feel it is not right you should trust your instincts and ask for help. Good Luck!

hey, I had those problems, only I never got my period until I was 16 and I had to take pills to get it and now I'm on birth control so I'll have one every month... but the other stuff, the dark skin and stuff, you maybe should see if you have polycystic ovaries. it's what I have and I had those problems.

hello,
im
haolliee
im getttin bumps in between my legs and vaginal area
on my butt cheeks also.
im 13
and my periods are starting to smell also.
and im scared to tell my mom
or anyone.
becuase im still a virgin
andi know its not hitv but can anyone help me?

thanks.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

hi i have a diffrent problem my mom says its im getin used to my periods and i think like u do im scard so i would help if u could help me i have puss instead of blood but it constent

u might have genatal herpes. The bumbs that you explained sound like it. you can be born with it. You can also get it from having intercourse too. Herpes can be very painful although i don't know about any one with it. Boys normaly get it on there testes ( balls ) and happens to them at ocward sometimes random times. For girls i think it might be when you have a period and can reult in wird periods becuase of infection. i am a boy 14 years of age and i hope this helped any one else that has visited this to get help.

Herpes seems unlikely to me. If it was congeintal herpes, would would it take so long to appear? If anything, it should have appeared early on with at a time when the immune system is weak.

Herpes, hpv (warts), EBV (mono), and other viral infections which are "life long" depend mainly on NK cells for their destruction. NK cells are most vunlerable during times of stress.

Do you see any pattern associated with your bump out breaks?

I admit that i'm a male, but it was my understanding that girls should be recieving anual physicals/exams once they start having their period. During your next physical, i would definiatly address your concerns with the obgyn at that time.

Odors, especially fishy kind, are never normal. Various infections can present with such odors: ie yest infections. I don't belive such infections come with the bumbps you described--they mostly result in itching and discharge. Additionaly, the bumps don't sound like herpes to me--herpes should look like cold sores. warts wouldn't appear and dissapear.

Some bumps are normal and can be attributed to hair bulbs (where the pubic hair would come out). If you are starting to get hair, pheraps that may be the source of those bumbps. Razor burn from shaving would also give bumbps.

Discharges: some discharges (thick mucous) are healthy signs of a normal period. (so are u sure you mean puss and not thick mucous)?

To the 13yr with bumps on the butt cheecks. Do they appear the same as the bumps btw your legs and vaginal area. When you say between your legs--how does that differ from your vaginal area. HPV (common cause of "genital warts") (which is highly contagious--sexually/physical contact and has aprevelance of i'd say 33% on most college campuses--a number greatly increasing) would only show up in places contacted by the infected person/bodypart/etc...

Periods are never text book (28day cycles) unless a hormonal supplement is given (ie birth conrol). Many things can effect the "duration" of the cycle: stress, diet, travel, basicly anything. And at a young age..i would immagine that the cycle hasn't yet established a regularity? (not 100% sure on that assertion).

(on a side note, spotting --the irregular bleeding btw periods is also normal/not uncommon))

to the lady that said "What is this? plz tell me.one day before my periods i have itching in my hands and feet and they are swollen and redish.some time i have migrine before ,middle and after periods.plz suggest me something. "

can you give me a little bit more detail? when you said you had itching in hands in feet one day before your period..do u mean this happened one time..or it is a pattern? have you ever been checked for a thyroid disorder? Hypothyroidism would likely effect the regulairty of periods and cause a decrease in metabolism (whch may explain an increase in fat?). Not to sure if it would effect odor..but you never know? something to look into...

The period: as you may know its a result of a cyclical change in hormonal levels. The fact that bumps are appearing and dissapearing with onset of period seems to suggest (at least to me) a side effect of the increased estrogen/progesterone levels?

You mention darkening of the skin...have you noticed any other part of your body that has become discolored? Can you describe the color? Some disorders (i forget the name ..sorry) that lead to increase ACTH secretion (as a result of a failing negative feedback loop) can lead to melanin color deposits. this would show discouloarion. but you would be getting many other symptoms..(very sorry..it's been awhile since i've taken physiology)...

cancer...although possible....not high propabbility given your adge... and again..the cylcic problem isn't suggestive (to me) of a chronic condition such as cancer.

well i really hope some of what i posted helped.

in conclusion: if ur afraid / can't talk to your parent re your issues.
options:
- help line/ nurse advise line
- planned parent hood-- just go with a friend (its anonymous).

i'll check back in a few days to see if anyone has made any updates.

like i haven't said enough...

other things to look into:
do you wear cotton or nylon panties or anyother type that would restric air circulation to the genital area? this may cause genital redness, itching, discharge, or irritation.

local irrotation can also cause redness withour withou vaginal discharge. some irritants would be: bubble baths, shampoos, scented soaps, even bleach used to clean undwear.

lichen sclerosus is a skin condition which presents with intense genital itching. this disease has a high frequency in prepubertal girls. the skin, after being rubbed, can become traumatized and bleed with normal activity. according to imedicine, it has a characteristic appearance of "sharply demarcated area of hypopigmentation" around the vulva and perianal area.

foreign bodies in the vagina is a common cause of vaginal discharge and commonly occurs with a foul odor, intermittent bleeding, and discharge. Some common forein bodys: small pieces of toliet paper.. in girls with relatively large hymenal openings, there is less of a barrier to block foreign materials from entering...(imedicine again).

imedicine cited a case of a young girl presening with a painful genital ulcer which looked like herpes. it turned out to be e coli (a easily cured bacteria)..

I cam across an interesting pathology that seems to match many of the symptoms described in this post. Its called a bartholin cyst. it develops with the duct leaving the bartholin gland becomes blocked. symptoms: can cause swelling of labia on side of infection near entrance to vagina. a cyst is not painful, but an absecess which can develop may cause pain. this painfual swollen area is tender and the skin is reddened. walking and sitting can be painful. vagainl discharge may be present.

Oh, i mentioned previously that not all discharges were abnormal. I should mention that a noraml discharge is usually clear or mikly but has no bad odor.

ok that's all i got for now.

Alright, calm down. Lots of women and men get this. My mom's a nurse and i had the same problem. I asked her whats goin on and showed her what it looked like. And she said "Ya know yer dad had the same thing on his thighs, its hereditary(however its spelled)" I know its ugly, i know it hurts, and i know you cant help but to pick at them....but dont! I did and what it is is like a syst... it starts out as one...but if you squeeze it youll notice that nothing comes out even though you felt it pop. Well, it did pop...under your skin and it spreads like wildfire. What i would suggest is to visit you doctor, tell him/her whats goin on...and im sure they can either put you on medicine or give you likea hydrocortizone shot.

The period problem now.... its normal...your body is probably hormonally challenged...as id like to call you may be producing too much hormones in which case...again...doctor. THe brown discharge is normal, the smell...well...i know its gross but they have many products out there that can help. Sprays, wipes, scented tampons and pads...so on. Just see a doctor girl...im sure itll help ya out.

I am no doctor and neither are anyone else making comments. Girls have a lot of hormones going on in early adolescence which make things do crazy things. What it all comes down to is if you are unsure about what is going on ask people until you get an answer. Do not sit there scared not knowing what to do, get it checked so you can feel at ease that everything is normal. If your parents won't take you to the doctor go yourself or ask a family friend or Aunt or older sister etc to take you. Either way got to the doctor i'm sure it is all normal.

It's true Sweetie, please don't worry. And Jey thanks for the help, but a lot of vaginal discharge can have a slight fishy smell when your body is developing. You say that you're washing between your legs all the time. Maybe you're scrubbing too hard. I had the same problem to the letter, but it certainly wasn't any type of STD. Jey is right about certain soaps, they can be irritating to the delicate skin around that area. As you are going through pubery skin becomes inflammed due to hormonal changes and increased blood flow. My bumps hurt too. I started using Aveeno Skin Relief lotion with Cooling Menthol. It has a special dimethicone skin protectant in it. I gently wash between my legs in the shower, dry completely, and apply a little lotion to the area. This lotion has a cooling effect and on sore areas it may sting a little. Try putting a little Neosporin cream with pain relief on the hurting spots. Your periods are going to be irregular. I worried too when I was younger because I have a family history of ovarian cancer, but I assure you there's nothing to worry about. The brown discharge is probably a light brown and sometimes sticky right? That's normal too. In fact I'm married and 24 years old and still have a little brown discharge sometimes! My parents woul'nt listen either so I had to find out things from library books. You can easily go into a college library and just sit and read with out having to be embarresed by checking them out.
It's true though, none of us are doctor's but a lot of things that seem scary are really quite normal. This is why I explained every little detail to all my younger sisters (there were six in my family, I'm the oldest). But if you ever get a dark yellow, thick or green discharge, this is worrisome (don't worry about a little yellow on your white undies, that's normal) Talk to the school nurse if you are really still worried. I've always found it easier to talk to someone else other than my parents :-P

hi my names autumn and i'm scared to get my period, because i'm afraid it'll hurt. Does it hurt? does it feel weird? please answer, thanks :$

jey is absolutely right! if you wear underwear that has scratchy elastic it can make your vagina maybe itch and even get an infection. i though i had an std also, mine was smelling and seeping weird yellow colors but i went to the doctor and it just turned out that my skin was really sensitive to the type of material. the bumps that are dry up there might actually be dry skin. i would recomment trying something without a smell like maybe baby lotion for a while before seeing your doctor. it might help. who knows.

Autumn,
There's a lot of hype about periods and they can seem really scary when you're about to start, but it's nothing to be worried or embarrased about. The actual flow of blood from your vagina doesn't hurt. Stains things, but doesn't hurt. However, your uterus is contracting just like your stomach when it digests. But unlike the stomach muscles that are used all that movement, your uterine muscles are not. A Lot of girls experience a pain in their lower tummy called cramps. Many eat more food than normal just before their period. This is your body's way of building up energy to replace the blood you're going to lose. You may feel tired or more apt to cry easily. That's normal too. If you do get cramps try a pain reliever like Pamprin that's especially made to help cramps and fatigue. If you don't have those use Tylenol or Aleve but NOT ibruprophen - - Ibruprophen is a blood thinner and can cause problems with your period. Not severe problems but you don't want to hinder the situation.
Pads for your period are recommended more often because younger girls may have a hard time putting in tampons. This also allows the blood to escape so it doesn't build up inside and cause bacterial growth. If you do later decide to use tampons be sure to take them our every six - eight hours. If you don't you can develop a serious bacterial infection in your blood stream calld TOXIC-SHOCK SYNDROME. Tamopns are safe to use you just have to let the blood flow out naturally, for example at night, so this doesn't happen.
Don't worry! Soon you will throw that Pamprin and Always pad on the counter at Wal-Mart and not think twice because, simply put - it happens to all girls! Until you're about 50 years old really :-)