Hi all, I'm not entirely sure what's been going on with my body for the last 7 months but I just know that something is not right. I'll start at the beginning and maybe you might be able to help me out.

Back in september last year I had severe abdominal pain one night. I went to an out of hours doctor who said I had a urine infection and prescribed antibiotics. I then started to vomit, consistently for about 5 hours, with the pain increasing in intensity. I went back to the out of hours doctor who then suggested appendicitis and I was admitted to hospital. Surgical did blood tests etc and concluded that it was just a case of gastroentiritus. I went home the next day.
After that episode I felt weak for a while and was nauseous for a few weeks, then almost exactly one month since the last episode, I started to feel nauseous, dizzy, had a fever, a sore throat and the severe abdominal pain. At the doctors they again admitted me for appendicitis, and I was in hospital for just under a week. My blood test showed high white blood cell count and inflammation, my blood sugar and blood pressure was low. An ultrasound showed nothing and I started a heavy period in hospital. They did an internal exam and concluded I had pelvic inflammatory disease, even though the STI swabs were negative. I went home with antibiotics and feeling pretty rubbish.
A month later, december, I had an almost two week long heavy period (im on the pill) and then had spotting for two weeks. I put it down to having missed a few pills being in hospital. I also experienced EXTREMELY painful sex and bled a couple of times afterwards. I also had a little bleeding with a bowel movement and some intense leg pain.
I went back to the doctors after new year to pursue these symptoms and she did some more blood tests which again showed high white blood cell count and inflammation. I then immediately started to get a sore throat, feel nauseous, tired and the cramping stabbing pain started, it waxed and waned for a week and they said it was pelvic inflammatory disease again and gave me more antibiotics. I was referred to a gynaecologist who again suggested PID, adhesions or endometriosis and ordered an ultrasound.

Between seeing him and the ultrasound the pain got worse and the vomiting begain. When the pain is there its in the lower abdomen/pelvic area, on both sides but generally more so on the right. Its like a dull ache across the lower pelvic area with sharp stabbing on the right side, sometimes where my ovary is, sometimes a little higher. It also seems to involve my bowels and make me slighly constipated and the area around my belly button tends to hurt. It also spreads around my lower back and sometimes down my legs. I can't get comfortable lying or standing so I can't sleep and normally cry and fall asleep with exhaustion after extensive vomiting. No painkillers, co-codomol, tramadol, buscopan or anything works. Ive even had pain and antispasmodic injections at the doctors to ease it and nothing works. It tends to last for about 12 hours and then fade off. I thought before all of this started, that maybe I had IBS so I even have tablets such as mebeverine and colofac, Ive taken gaviscon incase the sharp pains are gas pains, peppermint capsules to try to ease the bloating, lactulose to help me have a bowel movement which is normally painful on my stomach. nothing seems to work.

The gynaecologist has put me on the waiting list for a laporoscopy which isnt until July. I've had two more episodes since. Always around a week to a few days before my period. The episode in February, I had constipation for a week and then severe sharp gas pains that continued even after all medication and then the severe sharp pain and dull pelvic ache started. And then the vomiting, the doctors were hopeless and I ended up at a+e, they did another ultrasound which showed nothing. In this episode, once the spasming started, I got quite bad diarrohea and the frequent urge for diarhhea. The doctor said my bowel was in spasm, gave me antispasmodics and sent me home.
This recent episode started a few days before my period, again i was a little bit constipated even though I was taking fibogel which was making me regular every single day, I still got constipated before my period. And again with a fever and sore throat which turned into tonsilitus which I am on penicillin for, and then the severe abdominal cramping and sharp stabbing pain on the right side. It felt not like my bowel spasming this time, but like severe menstrual cramps. The nausea and vomiting followed, with the chills and sweating of the fever, no medication or pain killers worked and it eased within 12 hours. These last few days after it though I have had consistent period cramps, sometimes dull, sometimes sharp and stabbing. It hurts to bend or breathe too deeply and my right side is really stabbing if I lie on my left side. A hot water bottle eases it only slightly and all the anti spasm, mefenamic acid, paracetemol has been doing nothing. I am still on a heavy period and the cramping is still there.

I am just at my wits end, I am 21 and in my final year of university and this is ruining my life. I have missed loads of uni, my relationship is suffering and I feel I am putting constant pressure on my parents. Doctors just keep putting me on huge waiting lists and I cant cope with an episode every single month. I have had 5 episodes in 6 months, mostly just before my period. I am just so confused because Ill get fever and sore throat, bowel problems AND period problems and I just dont know what to think. I just wish I had some answers and it is really depressing me.

If you have any idea on whether this could possibly be endometriosis, please let me know. Im just so scared of whats happening to my body. If it was just IBS surely it wouldnt be this severe? and its not inflammatory bowel because I dont have diarrhea on a regular basis at all or blood in my stool.

I just really need some advice. Thank you. xxxx

Hi Lydia,

Where to begin but to say OMG!!! I am having almost identical symptoms to you!!!! The only difference is that I am on Depo Provera injection, not the pill. For me these symptoms have been going on for exactly a year this month and I have had gynaecological investigations one which said i had a uterine infection whereas all else for STDs came back negative. I too ended up in A&E as I had swollen up that much that I looked 8 months pregnant... they told me it was IBS gave me Fibogel Mebeverine and told me to go home... It was in July of 2009 when the vaginal bleeding after bowel movement started and since then things have just deteriorated. In February of this year (the 19th to be precise) I had really heavy bleeding and cramping which lasted for 3 days.. the cramps eased off again no painkilllers would help, mefenamic acid gave me a migraine for a solid week.. I have been vomiting this week and keep getting what I can describe as "head rushes" where i feel like i'm going to fall over even when I am lying/sitting down.

Today I went for a supposed smear test as requested by my GP as when I explained all these symptoms to her that have happened and what sh*t treatment I have had in the past she thought it was time I had one even though I'm only 21... I go up for the test today and there was a big hoo-ha as to whether they should do it.... and to tell you the truth, I am still not sure whether they have done a smear test for cervical cell abnormailities or whether they have just taken a little swab to test for infection... but as I already know I have no infections STD or bacterial as my last thorough tests were in November and they all came back clear. The Doctor was very rude to me, I was in tears as the pain was unbearable when she did the test (I have had it done before and it never hurt like today). I went numb down the back of my thighs and she's kkicked started the cramping again which had transformed into a dull ache for the first time in ages.

I'm sorry if I'm ranting but she treated me like I was a complete id**t. Last year I had an ultrasound as was experiencing fairly similar symptoms but by far no means this bad with the bleeding and the chills etc that I'm getting now... and from this ultrasound they diagnosed Polycystic Ovarian Sydrome... According to this Doctor today I HAVE NOT BEEN FORMALLY DIAGNOSED!! I asked her how she could say that when it was the Consultant Gynaecologist who told me this and had reviewed the scan.. she flippantly remarked that a blood test is required for true diagnosis. They refused to conduct any form of blood test today as I'm on the Depo Provera... I know for a fact that, providing you tell them if you're on contraceptives, they are not an excuse to refuse to do blood tests. Now my Mum has PCOS and she was diagnosed solely by Ultrasound...

I have been left today feeling utterly lost and confused and just as sh*t as I did when this all first started. I am now waiting for the results of the test today to eventually come through the post and the Doctor has also supposedly ordered me another ultrasound..

My advice to you is don't give up.. as I won't.. we need an answer to what this problem is.. I am now systematically going through every reproductive disorder there is, matching symptoms and eliminating the ones where I may have 1 or 2 symptoms... I'm going to take that list with me to the ultrasound appointment and I will refuse to move from that damn hospital until they llisten to me and do the tests that I believe need doing.

I shall keep you posted as to how I get on, I would hope you do the same :-) Together we may get to the bottom of this!!!

I truly cannot say how gobsmacked I am that I when I read your post it mirrored what I'm experiencing and have been going through as well! Keep strong.

Hi there, I was searching my symptoms in google and found this post. I cannot believe that I've found somebody out there that is going through exactly the same thing. And the doctors treat you like you are mad.

Did you ever get a diagnoses for this?

Thanks Tiff

HI,
I read your post and the symptoms sound similar to what I had before I found out I had Coeliacs disease. Have they tested you for this yet? It affects your bowel, sharp pains, diarrheoa, weight loss, low immune response. This may explains some of your symptoms. Should check it out.

I am 16 and having the same exact symptoms, only I also, whenever I urinate, feel like I'm in the middle of a Urinary Track Infaction(UTI) I seldom get the pain when I relieve myself, but I'm still urinating constantly. I've taken more than 3 pregnancy tests(all reading negative)and when I visited the OBGYN, they couldn't find anything wrong. The symptoms come and go as they please wether it be before, during, and sometimes even after, or all, when it comes to my period. I can't take this anymore, and have suffered it over 3 months, and suddenly pass something through my Vaginal Discharge. The passing turned out to be a baby, but I still sometimes get the symptoms. I went off the pill thinking that my symptoms would go away, and they did for a bit, but sadly came back. But when they did and when they do, they are very less in pain and in quanity. Maybe, because I still do not know what's going on with my body, but maybe you should try to go off of your contraceptives.
The painful sex has stopped, and I don't bleed afterwards, but I'll spot a little, literally little tiny spots of blood in my undies. No type of pain killers seem to work when it comes to the pain though, even if it is very small, but I've had my younger brother stand and crack my back, which makes the pain in both the back and abdomin stop for as long as up to 2 months. I'll still get the random stabbing pains during the middle of the night and wake up with the urge to vomit, but usually end up with the runs. I'd love to know what's going on with my body as would you, so when you find out anything, please post it up here so that I could have some type of clue. Much abloged.
-Ash.xxx

Thank you Lydia, I never read long posts; I read yours thoroughly twice! I had my 4th episode earlier tonight, I know I need to see a doctor but I don't want to go to a clinic, see a different doc every time and be re-diagnosed everytime as you were. I live in south-central TX, too many obgns to choose from but I need to.

Question: Do any of you, who experienced this, have a reverse-tilted uterus?

I spoke with a friend of mine tonight, an emergency nurse who says she experienced this years ago in college but was never diagnosed. She told one of her doctors about it, though, recently, and he said that it sounded like an ovarian cyst burst and the body, which wants to heal itself, did. He said she was lucky, it can kill. It makes sense though: 1) Sexual intercourse leads to unbearable pain and, in my case, excessive heat and sweating, bouts of delirium, all lasting about an hour each time, diarrhea, and it's over. Well, I believe that fever is the result of your immune system being in like, overdrive or something. Now I just gotta research what ovarian cysts are, etc..

Oh my gosh,  I am so glad I google searched my symptoms I have been suffering Since December with so many of these issues and it is now June and doctors think I'm crazy my family thinks I am crazy... I first got really sick in December with some kind of upper respiratory infection and was sick for a month  with a horrible cough and sore throat I got better but my sore throat never went away I had also been having issues with cramping in my lower abdomen and around where my ovaries are and sometimes up higher sometimes on just my left side sometimes on both sides and this has not stopped it keeps happening getting worse when I'm near my period and after but it never leaves never... I still have a sore throat with white spots and headaches and now I'm even getting weirder symptoms I woke up one day with swollen left arm and leg and soreness in both and my neck hurts now I have also been experiencing a lot of tingling and numbness like my cirulation is poor  too and I have wheezing now and the doctors hear it in my lungs when I go to the doctor have been on an inhalor now for a month it helps but doesnt get rid of anything and sometimes my chest hurts... its just so crazy and things just keep popping up. I was diagnosed with PCOS a long time ago I dont know if that would have anything to do with this but I've never had this problem before I've been tested for STD's and everything came back negative I've had UTI's before went to the hospital sometime in January because the pain was so bad I almost passed out all my bloodwork came back good and all they diagnosed me with was a UTI and told me I was having a panic attack... I am seeing an ENT next week and having a test done looking at my upper and lower digestive system because I've had issues with nausia and stomach pains and excessive painful gas and heartbun. I'm so incredibly frustrated I have never been sick this long in my life and no one has answers I'm constantly trying to figure out what this is Doctors haven't been much help I almost want to go to the hospital and stay there until I have some answers... I just dont feel like myself anymore... I dont feel super sick but I never feel well or normal at all anymore it is so frustrating when no one can help you or thinks you are over reacting I just need answers and need to feel better.

Hi guys, i have the same problems and symptoms almost 3 month and tomorow im going to bangkok bumrungard hospital for check up or maybe colonscopy too, i will let you know what is the result next week..good luck for everyone with perfect health

Hi. All I. Wondered. If. Anyone can. Help. Me. I have. Sharp. Stabbing. In right lower. Of. My tummy. , I. Am. Getting want. The loo , for both. , being sick, Just feeling. Well. I. Have had. My appendixs removed. Last. October. So it's. Not. That. The pain. Driveing me. Don't. Know. To. Turn Anyone have. Any advice. Please Many thanks

I have a seven year old with a lot of these symptoms apart from the periods of course. She gets vomiting bugs that can last up to 18 hrs. She cies about her belly pain and back pain. When he was 3 3/4 years old she was hospitalized for urine and kidney infection and was a very sick girl. Now nearly four years later she seems to be suffering again but this time as mentioned she has long vomiting episodes. Going for abdominal scan and KUB scan tomorrow.

I have suffered for about 34 years with these symptoms, I was told it was endometriosis, was given so may antibiotics that it knocked my immune system out. At the age of 49 I had a total hysterectomy  they found an ovarian cyst, i expected to rid my body of these symptoms, but no, had lots of tests, endoscopy,colonoscopy's was diagonosed, spasmic bowel (IBS ) I dont think there is a cure, but can be managed with diet,(easier said than done ) I am going through a very bad bout at the moment, over indulged at my nieces birthday party, which led to bad bout of gastric, upsetting my system so until i get rid of it from my system, i will suffer. I do take a probiotic & Aloe vera juice daily, if i eat the right foods i can go pain free for weeks, so here i go again, not eating the foods i like, wish someone could find a cure for this debilitating illness, I also take buscopan which have been perscribed by my G;P. Good luck to you all, you are not alone although sometimes you feel that its just you.

It could be endometriosis because I have the same symptoms and endomietriosis runs in my family so I am currently undergoing a series of tests. Usually they will find a mass with the ultrasound and if they do, ask for exploratory surgery because they cannot find it any other way. It could also be fiber tumors.

This is nuts, I am trying to figure out what is wrong with me... I am 21 and have almost the exact same symptoms as you. I do not usually throw up (KNOCK ON WOOD), but the constant fatigue, stomach pains, headaches, nausea, dizziness... I also went and got tested for every thing under the sun. All my test came back negative- yet my white blood count was high, my blood pressure was slightly above normal, and the doctor said I had some sort of problem with me liver "but nothing to cause much concern." If you find out what you have, please share with the rest of us!!!

you may have endometriosis and it may cover a number of your internal organs causing multiple internel problems
you need to borrow some money and go private for gynae so that you get a quick resolution
hope this helps

Hi..

I am facing the same problems.. I m 27 married.. trying to concieve... I was worried if with all these things going on.. will i be able to concieve...

Is there any cure to this?