I've had four kids so far and am pregnant again with my fifth, due in June. I'm also in my mid 40's. My weight has yo-yoed badly over the last 20 years. Before I got pregnant, which was a surprise, I had joined a running club and was finally getting in shape. Then came the morning sickness and the fatigue, and I just know my belly will look that much worse after another baby. After 20+ years of looking after my kids and putting myself last I want to do something for myself. I want a flat stomach!!! I saw something on TV about laser skin tightening for the face and I was hoping that was available for the stomach area as well. Do any of you have any info about it?

Yes, there is such a thing as laser skin tightening for the stomach, using methods such as SlimLipo, Ultherapy, and Sciton. These do help you achieve a more tightened look around the stomach area, meaning reduced loose skin, but don't think that they will achieve the same result that a tummy tuck would, because this will not happen. Once you start it, you will need multiple sessions to achieve the results you are looking for, and even then, you will need to be touched up on a regular basis. So yes, it will help, but if you really want a flat stomach then a real tummy suck is the way to go.

Yeah, I don't have no kids yet but my sister does. She did try with all of those stretch mark creams and working out after she had her second, and it didn't really help. She has the muscle, but the loose skin is still there. So yeah, laser would be a good option for her in the future. It isn't TOO BAD, like, you know, people who were really big and have lost half their body weight, but it's enough for her to feel really self conscious about it. What I heard was that it improves skin tightness by 20 percent each time. So no, you won't go back to the way you did before kids right away, but it can definitely make a huge difference over time if you have several sessions. 

The good thing is that I have time to look into this :). I'd ideally really like a flat stomach, not a somewhat flatter stomach. I've had all natural births thus far and I am planning to have another one this time, though admittedly I keep worrying that something will go wrong. But I can't help but think of the idea of why not kill two birds with one stone and have the procedure done right as I am in hospital after delivering my baby. I don't know if that is even possible, but I do know that tubal ligations are always done right after delivery. It's quite exciting to think about this! I am determined to find the right option for me and to look better than I have in years!

I have postpartum tummy flab as well and I am more than a few years postpartum... I recently noticed that the salon where I normally get my nails done now offers Strawberry Laser Lipo as well. The lady who does my nails was all for it, saying it gets you great results, but when I looked into it the recommendation is, very strongly, that you do tons of cardio exercise after the treatment. Allegedly this will help dissolve the fat cells. But well, it sounds very much like that green tea diet pill to me... where when you have had the pill you are not supposed to eat four hours after it. Of course if you exercise you will lose weight... but will it really bust that stubborn flab? I am far from convinced. I'm all for motivating people to do cardio but this seems an expensive motivational tool.

Celebrity

Hey,

I took a break from the internet for Christmas and I assume many others did the same thing. I am all for exploring natural treatments wherever possible, but in your case, well, let's just say that I know how stubborn stretch marks and mommy tummy can be. There are at-home alternatives such as the Palovia and some others, but well, to be frank some of those have rather mixed reviews. If I were you, I would have no qualms about seeking laser treatment to tighten the skin on my stomach. I would be careful though, and seek information about how soon after you have your baby you can have this treatment. Your uterus and your stomach both shrink a fair bit in the first few weeks after giving birth. You obviously know this much better than I do, having had many more kids. 

In any case, this is something I would be very careful about checking out in detail. 

Rosie

Thank you, Rosie. You have made some good points. I did vaguely read about lasers for home use somewhere, but when I did (probably at a magazine at the OBGYN's office or something) I had the impression that these things were used for the face only, and not for the body? If anyone here knows more about that and how it works, I would welcome more info. I would also like to find out more about the difference between laser skin tightening and laser lipo. If it requires exercise to work then it does seem to be a rip off!

Good point about a possible waiting period after the baby is born, to allow my body to recover first. I had not really thought about that. I think I will start a new thread about that. Thank you.