Hi. I have really big breasts!!! I am considering breast reduction. However, I am only 20 years old and I am not sure if I can do it. Who are the best candidates for mammaplasty?

Hi. Mammaplasty, or breast reduction is a procedure that removes fat, skin and glandular tissue from your breasts, making them smaller and firmer. You can`t have a mammaplasty until your breasts are fully developed. The only exception is if your large breasts are causing you serious physical discomfort. You are too young, I think. If you intend to have kids, and breast-feed them, it is better to postpone breast reduction. The surgery will remove many milk ducts and breast-feeding may not be possible. It is really a serious and complicated surgery.

I'm 20 and I just had a reduction on December 22. You're not too young, but I think the best idea is to go and see some doctor's for a consult. Many girls get it younger than us. It actually is not better to wait until after you have children because they will just grow and be very stretched and saggy which will make the results later not as good as now. There aren't really any benefits of putting it off, unless you are really concerned about breast-feeding. Many people after reduction are able today to go on and breast feed. In waiting too long you also risk further complications on your back, neck, and shoulders. If I had to wait another 10 years or so I think I would be absolutely miserable. A lot of times when you are younger your breasts are almost all heavy tissue as opposed to fat. Losing weight doesn't make them get smaller, and as I know from my experience, physical therapy doesn't really fix the back problems. I say that if you have the opportunity to then you go for it. Being young makes the recovery much easier as well. Just make sure you have an EXCELLENT doctor who specializes in breast surgery. I would also recommend exploring the different techniques that there are, because some doctors still use the older anchor method exclusively, when there are other options with better lift and less scarring such as LeJour. This was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck!

While it is good to wait until your breasts are developed I wouldn't worry too much about the children thing. My surgeon said that usually you are ok to breast feed after this surgery but you definately wont get as much milk and it may make it more difficult to breast feed. The breasts will most likely also change after having children.

Surgeries vary from surgeon to surgeon so you never know.

I'm only 25, 5'6 and 140lbs and was a DD, possibly larger. I got tired of being "boob slapped" even when I was wearing a bra. It HURT to exercise because I like to do cardio and the movement would put so much pressure on my ribs. I'm pretty sure I've actually fractured my ribs from my chest... My insurance approved me so fast it wasn't even funny.

I went through with the surgery and actually had it done this last monday, Feb 5th. It's not really very painful, but really tight and uncomfortable. My advice to anyone getting this done:

1. you want someone taking care of you for longer than they say. I needed help for 5 days. This person should not be squemish and should be able to help with changing bandages.

2. get a fluffy reclining chair! I have lived in mine since and I would not have been able to get up or go to sleep without it. I made the mistake of lying on a bed on the 2nd day and it took 30 minutes to figure out how to get up, even with someone helping me.

3. you will need a front zip up sports bra, that is if they dont provide you with a special surgical bra.

4. be prepared to be constipated...

I had a breast reduction at the age of 17 and I am now 36. It was honestly one of the BEST decision I (my parents) have ever made.

I jus need one information from u. Do u hav children ? are u able to breast feed them? coz i hav planned to do this surgery but my parents are afraid of this

hi, I'm 22 and i need a 36 E or larger bra. i want to get the surgery but im worried about scarring. How bad is it?

With all surgery there will be scarring. It is a gamble. I personally feel breast surgery is only for woman with deformed breasts or cancer survivors. Breast implants look good with cloths on but horrible with cloths off. Look ate Sharon stone for example in basic instint 2. He breast look like two rocks that do not even look human. May woman would kill to have your problem.

You need to see the doctor first to know which procedure is better for you i have a number of one dr. he can help you with your situation

Hi there, if you have contact information, it would help to post it! I'm sure that she would like to know what her options are. Thanks!

wolfman wrote:

Many woman would kill to have your problem.

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I can't think of one single person in this world who would kill to have neck, back and shoulder pain or the headache that comes with it. Naturally big breasts do not look like fake ones, they're saggy...I can't think of anyone who would want that either.
About the scarring, I wouldnt worry about that. Not many people are gonna see it anyway... and scars dont hurt, heavy breasts do!

'Many women would kill to have your problem'??

YOu obviously don't have a clue what its like- both physically and mentally-having large boobs. It's not like having big thighs that you can just get rid off through exercise. Bigboobs are there everyday and dictate every clothing choice a woman makes,every sporting activity she can take part in and they also place her into a category of women who are 'up for it' and tarty, which is humilating and embarrasing! It can destroy self confidence and esteem and is horrible. Many women may wish to be bigger: so what?!! If a woman is unhappy with her large breasts, what other people think and may feel towards bigger boobs, is irrelevant!

I am 23 and in a few months I will be going in to get my reduction. My mom got a reduction when she was in her forties and it was harder for her to heal because of her age. She has severe back pain still and grooves in her shoulders from her bra straps (as do I). I have a smaller frame (5'3) and wear a 32 F, which is expensive because I have to get my bras specially made. It sucks to excersise, because jumping jacks hurt and thats all my employers look at...and my boyfriend loves them and is pissed I'm getting rid of them I am going as small as possible but I have a few questions:

-Does anyone know, on average, how large my breasts will grow after the surgery? (barring weight gain). I know they will grow after I have children, but my mom said they will naturally grow out a little after the surgery.
-I am super excited about the smaller size but squeamish when it comes to my breasts getting cut open. What would u recommend for getting over that :p?

Thanks! :-P

I feel your pain! I'm 5"3', size 12-14 and I have 36JJ breasts.. I'm seriously considering surgery at the moment as they are causing me so many problems; it's leaving big red grooves in my shoulder from my bra under the weight of them, and they are so heavy I actually slouch under their weight...  Yeah, there are so many people say they would kill to have big boobs, but whoever said many women would "kill to have your problem" is definitely not a large breasted woman, and quite frankly, has NO idea the implications of having such large ones - who the hell wants to have so much weight on their front that they are in constant pain?!  Aside from the physical effects of having them - there's the psychological side of it too... I hate having massive breasts, people ALWAYS stare.  Even my brother used to ask me when he was 5 why I had bowling balls under my t-shirt all the time! haha. But joking aside, it gets unwanted attention and I can't wait to get them reduced, but am really worried about the procedure and what might go wrong, any advice?

Good luck with whatever you decide on! :)

Guest wrote:

Hi- I feel your pain! I am 25, 5'0", weight 120 and my bra size is a 32DDD. I absolutely hate my breasts and have worked out like crazy and cannot lose any size there. I have seriously considered surgery, but was worried about 1. Cost, and 2. being able to breast feed when I have children. My question for you is how did insurance approve this for you? I am sure they required some form of proof but just wondering what they needed. Thank you so much!

-KD