I'm a 35yr old sole parent due for adenotonsilectomy on 5th Feb, will have my mother staying for a few days after op, but when she leaves we're on our own. Will have to drive children to school, cook dinners, make lunches and do general household duties. Is this plausable or am I deluded! After reading previous posts I'm a little worried I will have trouble coping with these everyday tasks. I have been able to organise 2 weeks off work after my op, but have no options as far as caring for my children. I thankyou for your honest feedback.

Hello there. I had my tonsills out on 15/01/09. I have a 2 year old and a 12 year old. My boyfriend spent 5 days looking after me including the day of the op. I found that I became more unwell as the days went on and days 5,6 and 7 post op were the worst for me. I had to rely on the help of my family and my sons nursery as I was in no state to look after him. Could your Mother stay on for a couple of extra days to help you out if necessary, or have you got a friend who could drop and pick up the children?

One of my daughters friends Mother had my daughter for a sleep over one night and gave lifts to and from school which was a massive help.

Another thing I did to prepare was to make some bougnaise and cottage pie and froze them so there was easy food for the evening meals.

It is probably worth mentioning that if they give you meds that make you sleepy you wont be able to drive. I was given cocodamol which knocked me out and there was no way that I could have driven.

Im sorry I couldn't have been more positive but I wanted to be honest so that you can prepare. With luck you will make a good recovery and be back oln your feet alot quicker than I was.

I wish you a speedy recovery. :-D :-D :-D :-D

this is my 5th day and it des get worse like she said. for some reason today is very painful and is absolutely hurtful. more than the first couple of days. @ first its a breeze, but now the pain is terrible n unbearable. u do need help. because eash little thing the children do will make u mad and its not their fault. but damn it it hurts. cook in advance, order you favorite soups in advance with more broth than usual. buy 5 boxes of te best tastin popsicles and relax. dont yell, whatever u do dont yell or talk for longer than u can because u can get stuch sounding like a person that suffers from some kind of disorder. yes it can be permanent