Tell me what your average bike speed is. I’ve had an argument with my friend and we had a bet. He claims that there are cyclists that can go 50kmph. I think that’s impossible and in my opinion 20kmph is quite fast for a bike. What do you think about this? What are the factors that determine bike speed?

Well, there are various things that determine the speed of cycling. One of them is how fit and strong a biker is. It’s really hard to establish what the average speed is since you have to take many things into account, such as the type of the bike, fitness of the person who rides it, terrain and similar. My average speed is about 15kmph but I know people who go 20kmph. I’ve read that, actually, there are cyclists who can go up to 55kmph during an hour. It’s impossible to maintain that speed for a long period of time. For example, mountain bikes go slower from road bikes and for them even 15kmph is very fast.