I keep hearing about bike frames and different materials. I am not sure what to choose. Some of my friends suggest aluminum, while the others wouldn’t consider anything else but titanium. I read that carbon fiber is the latest hit. My brother swears by steel frame. What do you think? Is steel frame ok?

Since there are four bicycle materials on the market today you have a lot to choose from. We all know that steel has been around forever and has a unique and classic feel. If you want stiffness, aluminum bicycles have been tried and tested. Titanium is new but already established and it’s here to stay. And now finally we have Carbon Fiber. It can be light and stiff at the same time. So how can you choose which one is right for you? It is a tough question since it is not only a matter of material but different tubes, thickness and much more. The best thing to do is to get out there and ride whatever you can. Ride carbon, take a spin on aluminum, go on some steel, and try titanium. Then you will be able to choose the right kind for you. If you go to some less-developed areas, steel is probably the best choice, since in the event of damage anybody with a torch and brazing/welding know-how can repair it.