How does alopurinol work in treatment of gout attack? I was diagnosed gout 2 months ago. How does it affect uric acid? I was suggested to change my nutritional habits. I’m interested in other’s experiences with gout.

Allopurinol can’t relieve a gout attack. It can help in causing less production of uric acid in your body. But in continuous using, it can help in prevention of attacks. I also have changed my nutritional habits. It’s the most important to avoid foods that contain purines.

Hi, I too have Gout attacks,and I only use alopurinol when I have a severe one.This Med. needs to be taken on a full stomach as otherwise it can cause considerable discomfort to the user.Given the nature of the drug,I was led to believe that it shouln't be taken unless needed.Manfred

have used allopurinol for over 30 years at levels of 300mg now 150mg daily,with little or no side effects, and it has eliminated the gout problem entirely,even when eating high purine containing foods such as red meat and shell fish.
fully recommend and am 70. :-D