Hello, I tend to have a number of hypers and I think it has to do with the types of foods I'm eating. I'm not using enough insulin for some of them. I'm not sure why that is. Can someone tell me what causes hyperglycemia in your case? I think I need to do a rethink on my diet. I'm not sure about good carbs and bad carbs and what about other foods I eat with that. Do those other foods alter my sugar levels as well. I don't think I ever understood that very well. Can someone help me with this. Anyone out there had the same problem? Please share, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I had a similar problem when I was first diagnosed with type 2 about 5 years ago. I tried to keep my carbs low but when I increased my carbs, that's when I began to have problems. I generally eat more carbs at lunch time. I like to have some pasta or soup that has pasta and a number of different veggies. The situation was that I didn't increase my protein and fat intake along with that. Protein and fats take longer to digest so the carbs tend to stay with them. This means that the carb you take in will be absorbed at a slower rate than just taking in carbs or larger amount of carbs. So you need to balance out your proteins, fats and carbs. This prevents sugar spikes after your meals. I tend to want a big bowl of veggies and pasta and I really don't get enough protein. I took me a while to break away from that habit but I eventually did. I still have those days when I want a really big bowl of veggies and pasta with tons of tomatoes. I think the fat intake should be around 20 to 35 percent of your total calories and 15 percent of your calories should come from protein. I believe the carbs you take in will have to be establish by your diabetic manager or doctor because its different for many people. It's individual specific. Hope that was helpful.