In order to improve my cycling I was told that I had to pay attention to my anaerobic threshold. Since I am eager to improve my cycling I want to do whatever it takes to become a better rider. The problem is that I don’t know what it is and what I can do about it. I would appreciate if you can explain it to me and give me some tips that can help me.

There are two different ways you can produce energy; aerobic and anaerobic. Most of the time you use aerobic metabolism. It means that you are producing energy in such way that you are able to use enough oxygen and meet your body's energy demands. Such activities include sleeping and doing your regular daily activities. However, exercising at a high intensity for a short period of time requires anaerobic metabolism. Your body can’t take and utilize enough oxygen to support your current activities. So it has to draw energy from another source. The exercise intensity at which you begin to switch over from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism is usually called “anaerobic threshold”. It is a point in your high intensity exercise where the lactic acid level in the blood is high enough that you are losing the ability to continue. Due to the inadequate oxygen supply you are breathing heavily. Slowing down or stopping are the only options left. Well planned and cleverly designed intervals can help you change that point at which you reach your anaerobic threshold. The energy you have during your normal activities and exercise sessions as well as your overall feeling of well-being will improve dramatically.