I want to improve my cycling. I was told by the experts that I have low anaerobic threshold. I don’t know what it is and what I can do about it. I would appreciate if you can explain it to me and give me some suggestions as to how to raise my cycling threshold.

You can produce energy in two different ways; aerobic and anaerobic. 99% of the time you use aerobic metabolism; you produce energy in such way that you are able to use enough oxygen to meet your body's current energy demands. Sleeping and doing normal daily activities is an example of few such activities. When you're exercising at a high intensity for a short period of time you use anaerobic metabolism. Your body cannot take and utilize enough oxygen to meet current demands. You can think of it as a sort of an emergency mode of energy production. The "anaerobic threshold" is the exercise intensity at which you begin to switch over from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism. You are breathing heavily due to a lack of oxygen in the working muscle cells. Also, the production of carbon dioxide and the lactic acid level in the blood increases. You are about to lose the ability to maintain that intensity. So you will have to slow down or stop. Of course, you can change that point at which you reach your anaerobic threshold. In such case you'll be able to exercise for longer periods of time at a higher intensity with less fatigue. Well planned and cleverly designed intervals can help you achieve that. Your overall feeling of well-being will be changed as well as the energy you have during your normal activities and exercise sessions.