I am contemplating surgery for Tailor's bunions (on both feet - my luck, eh?).  I like my podiatrist, whom I've been seeing for two years for other issues, but this is bone surgery.  Is this surgery better left to an orthopedic surgeon or a podiatrist?

I apologise.  This topic was covered in 2007 - I didn't see the thread until now.  If you're just tuning in for an answer, know that reviews are mixed. However,  if you choose an orthopedic surgeon, choose one with a foot/ankle specialty.

I would urge anyone thinking of having this kind of procedure (bunion removal) to weigh up ALL the options.

Mine has gone totaly wrong, in that I now have 2 blood clots one of which is DVT. The foot is still swollen after almost 3mth and I'm still on crutches. Not forgetting during the procedure, they fractured the foot!!

But good luck anyways.

Choose the podiatrist or orthopedic foot surgeon with the most experience, not less than 20 years. And choose someone who spends time answering your questions, explaining everything to you regarding the surgical procedure, recovery period, pros and cons, possible complications, etc. Many podiatrists do a better job than many orthopedic surgeons. Just make sure whoever you choose, has many years of experience.