Thanks it's helpful its been annoying me and now my front tooth is a little loose so if corse I I keep touching it

I also bite my lower lip when I sleep, sometimes when drifting off to sleep, I can feel my lower lip going into my mouth and I can stop it, but other times I wake up with a sore lip,

Hi! Yes, you can have a lot of anxiety in middle school! But it necessarily a "disorder" . I think you have normal anxiety and sometimes we can take it out on our bodies in different ways...like biting/chewing our lips etc. I think that because you are aware of what you're doing is a giant LEAP towards getting better. Because you are noticing it..which means you can manage it. It takes time.....but each time you notice you're doing s behavior you don't think is good for yourself...just stop ...think about it...and then stop the behavior and choose something else that's more beneficial for you. Over time that habit will go away. You're not alone ! Most people have quirky habits because of Kildare or extreme anxiety. But you're ahead of the game! Being so aware so young! So good for you Xxoo....don't worry too much about the lip biting. Just be aware and then maybe write in a journal how you were biting...then stopped...see how many times you've written it down...and then see how over a course of a month that it has dissipated :-) if this is the only thing you're doing because of anxiety, I truly think you are okay. ....I used to "HUM" ...a strange hum...it used to annoy my siste...haha....but I grew out of it. And so will you with the biting habit. Xxoo

Sorry for all the typos!! Lol....but also...I see you wrote this about 4 years ago....I hope you are doing well now.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I guess I've always known I do it but it only came apparent to me when my dentist pointed out that I have a scar on my tongue and then I started to realise that I had been biting it and that's why it's there. I do get very anxious and I think maybe that's why but this morning I woke up and I looked in the mirror because my dentist said to keep and eye on my scar and there was now one on the other side of my tongue and along my cheek. I must be doing it in my sleep. I don't know how I can stop it, when I don't even realise I'm doing it. It's a few hours after the new scars appeared and they've seen to have gone although I still have the one that my dentist pointed out but now I have a pain near my lip and I think it may be where I had bitten it in my sleep but I'm not sure. Does anyone know anyways I can prevent biting in my sleep or has anyone experienced the same thing?

I do this also but not to smooth my lips out, it strangely feels good.. hope I don't sound psychotic but I could chew on the inside of my lips all day, it's weirdly soothing but I wish I could stop cause sometimes I feel that it makes me even more anxious. I've been doing to off and on again since I was younger but now it seems like over been doing it for like 2 weeks straight. Someone please tell me what wrong with me. I cannot stop.

At least I'm not alone I'm 13 been doing it a lot for a couple years I'm doing it as I type I don't know what to do anymore

Sorry for my english 1st... im 27 with a problem of yours my mouth feels have a serious problem everytime i check my mouth... I have a cheek bleeding last week and my tongue i think its bigger than normal and yesterday my cheek bleeding again... I thinks it cause by cheek biting... My jaw feel numb everynight... My lips tounge feels burning... Im stressfull because of that i have insomia... My sleeping time around 2-4 hrs everyday... In my problem im scared always by a cancer or its cause only by anxiety problem?

I constantly chew dead skin on my lips or I'll chew on my lip (on the inside) to the point where it turns into a sore for weeks. I have had anxiety for a very long time. I especially chew the inside of my bottom lip if I'm on Adderall to the point of pretty much no return. My mom told me to drink Diet Dr. Pepper to heal my lip faster. I always thought it was a huge myth, for the simple fact that I can't stand Dr. Pepper, diet or otherwise. But it actually works pretty well.

Biting the inside of my cheeks for years. How to stop? Smile. Truly - smile and keep your teeth together. Not only will you stop the habit, people will think you are a very pleasant person!
Seriously, good luck to all.

I'm so glad it's not just me. I bite my lip and pick at them. I have done all my life. If anyone has any tips on creams or ointments please share

I have anxiety too and I do that!! I'm seventeen, and it's been happening so long I can't even remember when I started. My dentist said I have scarring in the inside of my mouth from it, and currently, I'm peeling the skin off of a healing bite on my lip. I can't stop and I don't know why. Is there a name for it?

yeah I'm the same as u I'm scared about leaving a hole in my cheek I try to stop but I really cant it seems imposible

I️ can’t believe so many people have this problem!! I’m always biting and biting till I️ tasted blood! It’s so ba d i have to consciously think to stop but then I️ forget and it starts all over. So happy I’m not alone!!

Wow I’m exactly the same and suffering from depression.