Hi, I would like to hear some experiences from GAD survivors. Are there any? I have just been diagnosed with this condition and I am so afraid of my future. I know that drugs are supposed to help me, but what about those side effects? Will be worth to endure them if GAD symptoms are subdued?

Well, look at it this way. Do you want to continue to live like this, in a constant fear for almost everything around you or will you try to deal with it, even if it means that you will have to endure some discomfort? Of course, if the symptoms of side effects are just too annoying and painful, you should talk to your doctor and perhaps change a therapy.

Celebrity
Beth there are non med solutions as well. I was on meds for a long time and now have been off them for a long time and doing better than ever. What worked for and what I recommend is cbt. It not only helped me with my GAD it also got rid of my panic and depression. If you can't afford a cbt group pick up a copy of Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz (tao3.com) and start doing the tea form exercise in it. This is one of the two books we used in my group. The more you work on the exercises the more relief you get, I am still improving today. Hang in there and good luck to you :-D

If you are early into this go for non-med solutions. There a couple of ways I know of that can help tackle GAD, Panic attacks and Anxiety -

Try the Solution-focused brief therapy (SFBT) which has its practitioners in UK and US. You can start seeing results in 4 to 5 sessions, and if you're lucky to get a good therapist, you'll really feel good.

There is another quite popular stuff that has helped in taking control over oneself. This works even in chronic cases. It is something called the "one-step technique".

In both cases you do not have to worry about any side-effects.

Let me know if it worked.

Take care

**edited by moderator**