I am a 22 year old female who suffers from mild anxiety. I get tensed up sometimes where I feel like I can't breathe and I'm usually affected in the middle of my chest, between the breastbone. I do not believe in medicating myself, I would prefer to try natural remedies - does anyone know of any possibilities? Vitamins? herbs? etc?

Anxiety runs in both sides of my family and it can really ruin my day and make me agitated, which I hate. I would like to address the problem before it escalates.

Thank you.

My doctor put me on vitaman b-12 once for anxiety. It only helped a little so I decided to go on anti anxiety meds which helped a lot

Hi Xbabeex,

You know, it is a wonderful help to (if you havent already) go and see your physician to see if something is going on in your body. There are a number of things (not major things) that can be going on in your body. Believe it or not, the thyroid can sometimes cause alot of issues, because that little thing controls alot of functions within the entire body.

Also, it is absolutely a wonderful thing to maybe see a therapist, or someone who can help you with learning how to handle stresses and maybe some activities that can assist also. Though I work in a pharmacy, I do believe that we should all research and "nip in the bud" the beginning causes of anxiety. Because as we learn to deal with it on our own, we become stronger.

Sometimes though, the body does need intervention with medications. But your best bet is to let your md know and speak with him about the possible causes. Any weight gain or loss (sudden)? I hope it helps, please dont hesitate to ask any questions.

Hizgrace

Celebrity
If you are willing to put some time in on yourself you may want to give CBT a try. Cbt teaches you exercises that help you learn to think more objectively. It has changed my life dramatically and I highly recommend cbt for panic, anxiety and depression. If you can't afford a cbt group pick up a copy of been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz and start doing the tea form exercise in it. This is one of the two books we used in my group. I was in and out of therapy before finding cbt and helping myself. I have been off meds and feeling better all the time since I finished my group and still do the exercises daily and continue to see improvement.Take care and know you can get better if you learn to think more objectively about your symptoms through the cbt exercises. The more you work on the exercises the more relief you get, Good luck!